ut2k4 relating to ut99

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ut2k4 relating to ut99

The ut2004 gametype Invasion is more like Monster Madness: Us Against Them than it is like Monster Hunt but it's still good fun. However, my question doesn't have to to with that.

I'm not as familiar with ut2004 as I am with ut99 but in the original if you joined a hosted game and you had a skin/model they had then you'd see yourself as that character and so would everyone else there. However, if however you looked wasn't on the hosted site then you and everyone else saw you as a default skin/model.

I just started playing Invasion online the other day and, me being me, I was playing as a Skaarj. Specifically, this one:

Now this skin is a little unusual, even for Skaarj, but I could see myself in games I joined this way so I'm assuming everyone else did too. However, ut2004 may be different enough that people were seeing me as something other than I saw myself as.

So, which is it?

evil grin if u r talking about people not seeing your skin its that other people are seeing you as jakob skin because the dont have the texture of your skin

Comment

In UT2004, you always see your model and skin, and everyone else sees you as green Jakob unless they also have the model and skin installed. Servers never have any models or skin packages that are required to download, because they are client-side.

Comment

Well, poo.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          In UT2004, you always see your model and skin, and everyone else sees you as green Jakob unless they also have the model and skin installed. Servers never have any models or skin packages that are required to download, because they are client-side.
          Skins and models can be forced on clients but it requires having a mutator written for the skin. There are some restrictions though, if the custom model requires a ragdoll file (.ka) clients will crash if they don't have the model's ka file installed. This is because .ka files aren't 'pushable' to clients.

Also to clarify when playing online it's not so much that you have the same model installed as another player, it's that you both have a upl entry of the same name. The rest of the character data doesn't necessarily need to match.

Comment

Originally posted by jefe View Post
            Skins and models can be forced on clients but it requires having a mutator written for the skin.
            OK, correction: "Servers with sane admins never have any models or skin packages that are required to download". Forcing models is just unfair and clients will most likely stop connecting once they see the whole load of skins and models they need to download.

Comment

I'm not looking to force a model. Not at all. I was just wondering if it meant he had the same one already setup in his serverpackages.

Like I said, I'm more knowledgeable in ut99. If the situation were there I'd be unable to see my skin/model unless he'd listed it in his serverpackages.

The skin I'm using here is part of one of the Invasion packages of skins, a variant of the U2 Skaarj. Seeing as I was playing in an Invasion game, on a server that had all the monsters I knew of, and some I'd never even seen before, it seemed at least possible.

Comment

So yea, the server most definitely does not, since it's (supposed to be) client-side. But others who have the model installed does see it.

Jefe, what do you mean about the UPL entry name? That post doesn't explain much other than the fact that you can have two models with the same name and the first one will be used...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  OK, correction: "Servers with sane admins never have any models or skin packages that are required to download". Forcing models is just unfair and clients will most likely stop connecting once they see the whole load of skins and models they need to download.
                  Well, I once joined a server where it showed me a popup window during the download which said "This server uses some custom player models and skins. Would you like to download this optional content or skip it?" with two buttons. A very nice and fair thing, I think.

Comment

Indeed, although I wonder how they pulled it off. It would also be nice if it was possible to stream models and music - download them after joining when your connection is idle.

Comment

Working...
                    X