Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought it, finished downloading it, playing for couple of while to the double domination match, finding couple of online matches, and I like it.

The gameplay is much slower than UT'99 and a bit slower than UT3. Graphically well, certainly in the middle of both. It's just the interface looks cheap, specially the menus, UT2003 as far as I remember are much more polished than this. Yeah not really a big deal. But I can see where Killing Floor got its cheap look from lol.

Soo, what to do with my installation of UT2004? Give me a list of best mods ever? Mutators?

I had my eyes on ballistic weapons and unwheel. I already had Killing Floor retail for total conversion. What else?

Depending on your favourite gametype and style of play, there are tons of weapon mods, skins, player models, gorgeous maps and Total Conversion ("TC") mods that can bring you nearly endless variety. You should look at sites like Mapraider, Skincity or UTZone for mods.

Also don't forget that most of the custom maps for UT2003 (aswell as skins and mutators) work for 2k4 aswell, which almost doubles the available custom content!

Ballistic weapons is a mod you should at least try out. It gives you a whole new style of play with lots of new weapons.

Unwheel is fun but not for long if you can't find any human player to play with...

What I personally also recommend is "Jurassic Rage".

Thats all I can tell you for now. If you tell me your favourite gametype, I can point you towards some really cool maps for that.

Comment

Great to see a new player!

The gameplay is much slower than UT'99 and a bit slower than UT3.
      Apparently you didn't experience the full potential of UT2004 :>
      Walldodges + dodge-jump ftw (dodge-jump is just a feature you have in UT2003/2004. Combined with the Speed-adrenaline combo you are fast as h€ll)!

Apart from that you can combine jump->walldodge->dodgejump and the Translocator disc flies much further than in UT3 and UT99.

I recommend you to take a look at my tips thread. It features all basics (only unmodded/regular UT2004! I think you will know the very basics since they're similar to UT classic and UT3, the core gameplay is a bit different though, may appear slow at first but after mastering the movement you'll see that this is probably the fastest of all the UTs... probably) and some tricks people are probably not always aware of.

Comment

I've checked on moddb for ballistic weapons, there're couple of version, 2.5, 2.6 and pro? which one should I get?

My fave gameplay is actually on foot. No vehicles plz. Anything. But I got to a 1 on 1 CTF. This is bloody fun!

I'll check on Jurassic Rage.

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
        Great to see a new player!
        Apparently you didn't experience the full potential of UT2004 :>
        Walldodges + dodge-jump ftw (dodge-jump is just a feature you have in UT2003/2004. Combined with the Speed-adrenaline combo you are fast as h€ll)!
        yeah just find out about adrenaline, was confused what to do with em. After quick google turn out they're very useful.

I recommend you to take a look at my tips thread. It features all basics (only unmodded/regular UT2004! I think you will know the very basics since they're similar to UT classic and UT3, the core gameplay is a bit different though, may appear slow at first but after mastering the movement you'll see that this is probably the fastest of all the UTs... probably) and some tricks people are probably not always aware of.
        I will. UT is my fave series, grew up with UT'99 and lately figure fetching the latest installment (UT3) which turn out a defected version. It ask me cd keys over and over again. It's great game but this annoyance just too much for me.

Well, kinda hooked with 2004 anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by exorio View Post
          I've checked on moddb for ballistic weapons, there're couple of version, 2.5, 2.6 and pro? which one should I get? [...]
          The 2.5. is the latest official one, all others are mods of that mod. ()
          But you should also try out Seargeant Kelly's bonus pack once you are done getiing used to BW as he and his team made some nice new weapons in ballistic style.

I don't know about CTF-1on1 maps actually, but there are a quite a few very nice DM maps. I will look around for them tomorrow.

Comment

The fist thing to get when you install any UT game is MapMixer.
            After that, it depends on your taste. I have made a partial conversion of UT3 weapons to UT2004, for example. You can find that on my website.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              The fist thing to get when you install any UT game is MapMixer.
              [...] I have made a partial conversion of UT3 weapons to UT2004, for example. You can find that on my website.
              I personally think Mapmixer is not necessary for 2k4, but for UT3 it is. EDIT: Because there it adds a bot roster feature!

His UT3 weapons and vehicles conversion is great! If you are annoyed by the targeting system of the UT2004 SPMA, then get the UT3 style one! Much, much better!

Comment

True. Mapmixer is not needed.

However, the first thing you should really do is update your game, e.g. installing the Mega Pack all volumes of the Community Bonus Packs (1 and 2).

And to optional mods/mutators: GreatEmerald's Unreal II XMP weapons.

Comment

Required? No. Needed? Yes! Random maps and mutators are just way, way too awesome to miss.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Required? No. Needed? Yes! Random maps and mutators are just way, way too awesome to miss.
                    That solely depends on your style of play. I for example are more into themed matches, a certain faction with certain weapons against another. So:
                    Required? No. Needed? Not for everyone, but it can be fun.

Comment

Here just a handful of great DM maps that are on my external HDD and my most used custom characters models:

Under this thread: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=759432

The Deinonychus model and the skins that go with are worth downloading

Links:
                      DM-1on1-Anglod
                      DM-1on1-ElectricSlide
                      DM-1on1-Honor
                      DM-1on1-Incuvasion

DM-Andok
                      DM-Anschar
                      DM-DG-ThePOD
                      DM-Entropic
                      DM-Kandhar
                      DM-Morrigan
                      DM-Sanctum2_SE
                      DM-typhoon][

Comment

well tested ballistic weapons in a match... it's good but I was expecting something more brutal like crucible weapons for UT3. That, combined with gibalicious and kill slow time = epic!!!

Comment

Originally posted by exorio View Post
                          well tested ballistic weapons in a match... it's good but I was expecting something more brutal like crucible weapons for UT3. That, combined with gibalicious and kill slow time = epic!!!
                          You can use the "Uberdeath" mutator to alter the way ragdolls behave (UT3 ones are heavier) and use the built-in gib multiplier of BW to spawn more innards. That should create a pretty similar effect.

Comment

The fist thing to get when you install any UT game is MapMixer
                            Doesn't AntiTCC (stupidly) complain and/or kick you if play online with MapMixer installed?
                            As I recall, that's why I removed MapMixer after I tried it.

Comment

You can get kicked but only under some circumstances (based on a PM I had sent Wormbo 2 years ago about that, since I don't remember things vividly right now):

If you enable either MapMixer Config Shortcut (which adds a new item to UT2004 menu) and/or MapMixer Loading Screen (which adds some info. in the loading screen of the map, such as the author and the description).

It also depends on the depth of scan antiTCC is is configured to do (with both active I got kicked from some and other did not. Don't remember if you get a console warning about them though).

Anyway, as Sinx said in the readme you can use two UT2004.ini for that purpose (since that is what bothers antiTCC).

I did not try it, but I guess you could simply make shortcuts to launch the game with the ini file using MapMixer for offline play (you would still need to close the game and re-launch it when you want to switch from offline to online mode and vice-versa).
                              Such a shortcut should work (put whatever you want instead of MM as long as it matches the modified ini file):
                              UT2004.exe ini=UT2004MM.ini

Comment

Working...
                              X