Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound file format

Hello -
    In the sound file 'MercMaleTaunts', for example the files are annotated with a series of numbers following the file name - like 'SOMEFILE [1,8,11025]'.
    I have downloaded Goldwave ... what file saving format would I use to save it so the system will see it and play it?
    Thanks,
    Paul

I believe it is 1 channel, 8 bit, and the 11025 is the sample rate.

You can open the sound file(.uax) in the Unreal editor, click on the sound you want(which will play it), and then go to file->export and it will export it as a .wav file.

Save them as .wav files to play on your system

Hope this helps...

Comment

Thanks

Hello -

I guess I wasn't too clear ...
      What I wanted to do is import my own sounds into UT2004.
      I downloaded some sound files from the Internet and was having a hard time getting them into UT2004.
      Eventually, I downloaded 'GoldWave' and processed the dwonloaded sound files into WAV files with the 'PCM unsigned 8 bit, mono' attributes.
      I still had trouble, but imported them into an established sound file, listened to them, and then exported them out into my own sound file.
      The files work perfectly now.

Another thing I noted while looking around at tutorials, is the lack of clear instructions on how to set up trigger-able sound events in one's own level. To teach myself how to do it, I opened a number of UT2004 game levels looking for these actors and found none in a half dozen or so files. UDN has some information but is written by people that have a complete understanding of the engine and write their explanations several levels above what a beginner (me) can understand. At length, I slogged through and got it all working and it is indeed easy once one understands the requirements.

Thanks again.

Paul

Comment

For the Sound Import:

Copy the sound directly on the C:\ Drive (No Subfolders). It should work then. The Soundimporter doesn't like spaces in the filepath.

Comment

In relation to his problem, I cannot import sounds at all. I convert them to PCM 8-bit mono, then import them and save as .uax, but after I close UED and run it again later, I cannot open my package. When I go to the sound browser and click open and select my package and click the 'Open' button, the screen just flickers, but nothing happens. When I try to use the package in Unreal Script, ucc gives me the error "Unresolved reference to MySounds.Sound1", but there is the package MySounds in the sound directory, and I imported my PCM 8-bit mono wav file as Sound1 into that package, with no groups.

Comment

Originally posted by GG-Xtreme View Post
            In relation to his problem, I cannot import sounds at all. I convert them to PCM 8-bit mono, then import them and save as .uax, but after I close UED and run it again later, I cannot open my package. When I go to the sound browser and click open and select my package and click the 'Open' button, the screen just flickers, but nothing happens. When I try to use the package in Unreal Script, ucc gives me the error "Unresolved reference to MySounds.Sound1", but there is the package MySounds in the sound directory, and I imported my PCM 8-bit mono wav file as Sound1 into that package, with no groups.
            Are you sure MySounds is just another pseudo-package like MyLevel? You should avoid prefixing any package names with 'My' as the editor will infer it to be the same as the level you are working on, and hence opening such separate packages won't work.

Comment

Working...
            X