Manual Cache Extraction Tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual Cache Extraction Tutorial

This thread is for all those "How do i play my downloaded maps?!" Questions.

Okay, let's say you played on a server, and it had a cool map. Now you want to play this map offline, but it won't show up in the list. For this you'll need to extract the files from your Cache folder. I'll show you how to do this.

In your "C:\UT2004\Cache" Folder there should be a file called cache.ini, and some more files with the suffix ".uxx"

Open the cache.ini, it should look a bit like this:

Code:
    [Cache]
    E37AA96D49A2A45264F5D9BEA0AAAF12-1=UT2Vote51.u
    039D4FE011D90E6430000C8CB7637684-1=AntiTCC118c.u

039D4FE011D90E6430000C8CB7637684-1=AntiTCC118c.u

The red and orange part would be the the Filename of that UXX file in your cache folder. So i'd have a file called "039D4FE011D90E6430000C8CB7637684-1.uxx".

The orange part is for the case, that you have too same filenames. So if i had too of the same it would be "-2" and so on.

The "=" seperates the cache name from the actual filename.

The green part is the name of the Filename, that the file actually had.

Now you understand the ini file, we can start extracting the files. Rename the file with the name "before the '='" to the Name after the '='.
    Or in other words: Rename the Orange-Red name to the Green one.

I would have to rename "039D4FE011D90E6430000C8CB7637684-1.uxx" to "AntiTCC118c.u"

After renaming, delete that line in the "cache.ini", wich would in my case be this line: "039D4FE011D90E6430000C8CB7637684-1=AntiTCC118c.u"

After that you'll need to save the "cache.ini", and move the renamed file to it's proper Location.

.u --> System
    .ut2 --> Maps
    .utx --> Textures
    .ukx --> Animations
    .uax --> Sounds
    .usx --> Static Meshes

Note: Some maps require additional files than just the ".ut2", so be sure to extract those too.

Note2: If you extracted System files, then you won't be able to use them just like that. You'll need .int and .ucl files for that. So let press [Win] + [R] and type "cmd".

That will open the command line. Now type following:

C:/UT2004/System/ucc.exe exportcache <filename>

Replace <filename> with the name of your exported .u File, in my case it would be "C:/UT2004/System/ucc.exe exportcache AntiTCC118c.u"

That will generate the needed .ucl file into your System Folder.

Now type this:

C:/UT2004/System/ucc.exe dumpint <filename>

Again replace <filename> with your Filename. In my case this would be "C:/UT2004/System/ucc.exe dumpint AntiTCC118c.u".

Now you'll have a .INT File in your System folder, and you can start playing!

Cache exporters

This is a very annoying way to do it, so try some of these automatic Cache exporters:

GU° Cache Cleaner
    UT2004Mi
    Cacheraper
    FavUT
    UT Cache Cleaner Pro
    Basic UT2k4 Cache Manager
    LogiGamers Cache Manager
    AK-Uncacher-LT
    Mahalis' UTCache (Mac only)
    Omnip)o(tentS UnCacher

Hope it helped!

eviL<3

In my cache folder there is no file called cache.ini

Is there any other way to figure out how to convert the uxx filename back into it's actual name.

Comment

I use the UTCacheExtractor, it works great.
      I think this is it.
      http://www.gamefront.com/files/90619..._Extractor_210
      just select your UT2004 directory when you start, then extract files you want.

If your looking for your cache.ini you need to go into your folder options in windows explorer and select 'Show hidden files and folders'

Comment

hmmmm.... I asked because I just setup on linux and was looking for a way to get files from the cache to the respective folders.

Originally posted by Parkis G View Post
        I use the UTCacheExtractor, it works great.
        I think this is it.
        http://www.gamefront.com/files/90619..._Extractor_210
        just select your UT2004 directory when you start, then extract files you want.

If your looking for your cache.ini you need to go into your folder options in windows explorer and select 'Show hidden files and folders'
        I still cannot find it, even with 'Show hidden files & folders'

All cache extractor programs I've looked at so far are Windows only.

I did come across one cache extractor that was a mutator that you installed in-game to get the file/s, but a lack of instructions to install it meant I didn't go that way.

Comment

Hmm, there ought to be a cache.ini somewhere. You're looking into the ~/.ut2004 directory, right?
          If there really is none, you can look at the packages through UTPT (it works well through Wine). It should give you an idea of what type of package it is.

Comment

After some research I found out that Linux is somewhat unique for the ut2004 cache.

The cache get placed not in the game directory but in a hidden folder in my home directory called .ut2004 and here I was looking at my game install directory and scratching my head as to where files are being cached.

Then I think I can pretty much do what the OP of this thread says to rename files, remove from cache and save to appropriate folders.

Comment

That's not specific to the cache. That's just how Linux works in general. /usr is for installed programs, and it's read-only, you can't write to it if you don't have root privileges (and you don't have them when playing games). All the user files are written to ~ (/home/<username>), and they are always user-specific. So games create a new directory in ~ to store their logs or user-specific data. Previously they just made a new hidden directory, like ~/.ut2004, although the current recommended practise is to create a new directory in ~/.local/share to avoid cluttering ~. When installing mods, also always put them in your ~/.ut2004 (just create the Textures, StaticMeshes etc. directories there). That not only spares you having to enter the root password, but also keeps your original installation clean - if you want to go back to the clean state if your mods mess something up, you can just delete the entire ~/.ut2004 directory, and you'll have a clean game again. Another benefit of the system is that when you want to reinstall, you can delete your / partition and leave your /home partition, and all your settings and mods will stay intact through the reinstall.

Read this for more information about the directory structure:
              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesy...tory_structure

It's a really awesome system once you realise how it works. It's so awesome that Microsoft tried copying it, hence why UT3 installs all of its user-specific files in Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 (although as with many things that Microsoft tried copying from Linux, they didn't really succeed and most programs ignore the recommendations outright).

Comment

Working...
              X