Listening Server ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listening Server ?

Just bought UT2004 for multiplayer, can anyone tell me what the listen option in server settings are, can I set my own game on the net with this option, Many thanks.

A listen server runs only while you're playing. As soon as you quit, the server goes poof. There are other reasons and stuff... someone else will post em.

A dedicated server quits UT and opens up the server console. This makes your computer into a UT server, not just the game... or something like that...

But if there's an error in the dedicated server, it just quits and closes without telling you what went wrong. a listen server error will cause UT to quit, and then provide a (usually) helpful erorr message.

Comment

Many thanks for your help..................

Comment

Listen servers are marked with an ear symbol of in the serverbrowser. In general they aren't very popular (bad ping/lag etc) so if you don't host the game for your friends don't expect to many players to drop by. A dedicated server doesn't have the ear symbol, so people can't see if this is a home machine or a professional server but if your connection/hardware isn't good most people won't stay on your server.

More infos about UT2004 (dedicated) server setup can be found here www.unrealadmin.org.

Comment

Also, if you run listen, you are playing it directly. If you run a normal server, then you have to connect to your machine from your machine if you want to play on it.

I run a listen server for LAN play here at home. Just easier.

Comment

ok so if i go host game and then goto say ctf face andthen click listen a game will be created that others can join? i was woundering cause noones joined and i didnt know if i was doing something wrong. so i dont need anytthing special? like to hire a server.

what about dedicated servers are they basically the same. do i have hire a server?

Comment

No, but noone would get a good ping if its a low-spec pc, a slowish broadband and stuff. Dont host servers unless you buy them, just join servers :up: .

Comment

Originally posted by IGotARailgun
                A listen server runs only while you're playing. As soon as you quit, the server goes poof. There are other reasons and stuff... someone else will post em.

A dedicated server quits UT and opens up the server console. This makes your computer into a UT server, not just the game... or something like that...

But if there's an error in the dedicated server, it just quits and closes without telling you what went wrong. a listen server error will cause UT to quit, and then provide a (usually) helpful erorr message.
                If a dedicated server crashes, u can sometimes find the reason why in the serverlog which is a wordpad file in the system folder in UT2004.
                And if u wanna run a server on ur pc, do it
                If server is fun and friendly u'll hear some peeps complaining: crappy server,awesome lag but they'll stay cuz they've fun.
                I know it: I run serious rented servers but I sometimes run one on my pc, its always full and that's here I enjoy the most playing.

cause noones joined and i didnt know if i was doing something wrong
                If u run a listen server, u won't b able to know if its in the serverbrowser list, u should ask to a friend to check it for u.Meaby ur server is N/A in that list and noone can join.
                If its the case its most prolly cuz u use a router or a firewall and haven't opened the rite ports.

Originally posted by Spaz007
                From the [Ultimate Faq Guide]
                The default ports are:

7777 UDP/IP (Game Port)
                7778 UDP/IP (Query Port)
                7787 UDP/IP (GameSpy Query Port)
                28902 TCP/IP (Allows your Server to Connect to the UT2004 Master Server Browser)

Comment

how much does a server cost to hire? where from?

is there anyway to tell if a listen server is online?

Comment

Originally posted by Maccaaccam99
                    how much does a server cost to hire? where from?
                    This is cheap and provides many locations:
                    http://www.clanservers.com/
                    Btw they don't host demoservers.

I'm customer at NetGameServer.de and I'm a happy one

is there anyway to tell if a listen server is online?
                    Meaby using this:
                    http://www.slagslair.com/slagslair/gamecontrol.asp
                    In game hit ur windows key and check with it but I dunno if it works for listen servers.
                    Or post here name of ur server, IP and gametype and I could check sometimes.
                    U talk about Face Classic,ICTF meaby?

Comment

Working...
                    X