Server stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Server stuff

So i finally went the extra mile and am going to be getting a wireless internet card for my laptop. Of course, my dad wont put internet security on it, so it will have no trouble connecting to the internet or letting stuff connect to it. It would have severe trouble running the game, and i cant eevn install it since it doesnt have a DVD drive, and i have the DVD version. So i am going to download the dedicated server that you can download. Oyeah, i have a Belkin Pre-N Wireless Router

1. Will running the server on the laptop count as joining the game under the LAN tab? Because that slows down my game on it. Like, when i host the server on the laptop, would i look under the internet tab to find it?

2. You dont need the game on the PC to run that ded server if im correct.

3. Off topic- My dad said there was some way to fix this, but he hasnt done anything about it yet. The router, like when two computers are using the internet at the same time, the thing goes mongo slow, and wont load webpages sometimes. It seems like the copmuter doesnt want to share. How do you fix this.

Eyre

Re: Server stuff

Originally posted by Eyre
    1. Will running the server on the laptop count as joining the game under the LAN tab? Because that slows down my game on it. Like, when i host the server on the laptop, would i look under the internet tab to find it?

2. You dont need the game on the PC to run that ded server if im correct.

3. Off topic- My dad said there was some way to fix this, but he hasnt done anything about it yet. The router, like when two computers are using the internet at the same time, the thing goes mongo slow, and wont load webpages sometimes. It seems like the copmuter doesnt want to share. How do you fix this.
    1. Wireless doesn't mean "internet", it simply means that you're not physically connected to a network using a wire. So, if you run a server on a wireless laptop, and your other computer is in the same LAN, you'll find it under the LAN tab, not Internet.

Your friend in another town will find it under Internet, assuming you've set the whole thing up to allow access to your UT2004 server from the internet (which involves configuring some router settings). I suppose that if you did this, you could join your own in-home server via the Internet tab, but that wouldn’t help anything one bit.

2. Yes, you can d/l the dedicated server without having to buy the game.

3. Fix what? Keep in mind that “using the internet at the same time” isn’t quite correct. You’re both connected at the same time. For both to be actually using it at the same time means that both are active transferring data to/from the internet simultaneously. If you’re doing P2P stuff with the setting wide open (read: maximum concurrent connections), your Dad will most likely notice a slow-down in his web surfing. However, if your Dad is just web surfing (or getting e-mail), you shouldn’t notice any impact on your UT2004 game – because his actions, in reality, don’t take up very much bandwidth at all.

Also, running a LAN-based UT2004 server will also have very little impact on Internet usage for other people, since you’re not using any Internet bandwidth. I do this all the time with my son. While we're playing, my wife's streaming audio (for baseball games) works just fine with no stutters or skips.

However, if your all connected to the router wirelessly, then there may, indeed, be a noticeable impact. The “amount” of wireless bandwidth is, in reality, much less than the 54Mbps that the wireless router claims to be (realistic figures are about ½ that). In this case, your wireless laptop based UT2004 server could chew-up a good amount of available bandwidth, thereby impacting everyone’s network (Internet) usage.

Moral of this story: Go wired unless you absolutely can’t.

Comment

Working...
    X