Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Unreal Engine 4 for everyone!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal Engine 4 for everyone!

Today, Epic has opened up Unreal Engine 4 to the world! UE4 is now available for download in its entirety, including the full features, tools and the entire C++ source code for PC, Mac, iOS, and Android through a subscription plan. You can subscribe to UE4 for $19 per month, and ship games with UE4 commercially by paying 5% of gross revenue from product sales to users.

The engine includes lots of free content, including template games, sample games, content examples and more from the built-in Marketplace.

In UE4, all engine and game code are written in C++ using Microsoft Visual Studio (available free online) or Apple's Xcode. Designers can build code-free games using Blueprint visual scripting, but there's no UnrealScript, C# or JavaScript. GitHub is hosting the complete C++ source code for community-driven sharing and collaboration.

To get started, visit http://www.unrealengine.com.

NEW SUPPORT CHANNELS:
    • Once you create an account, you can post on the new forums, AnswerHub and the wiki.

IF YOU’RE USING THE ORIGINAL UDK:
    • You’re free to continue using UDK and releasing products as planned.
    • You can continue using the UDK forums with your existing login.
    • If you’re early in development or starting a new project, we recommend moving to UE4.

Thanks for being part of the Unreal development community. We hope you’ll join us to experience a new generation together with Unreal Engine 4!

Sincerely,

Your friends at Epic

Oh my, now this is news!

Comment

SWEET JESUS!

Comment

HOLY ****, i totally didnt expected that until something like 6 months minimum

Comment

Wooooooooooooooooooot !!!! I wont sleep today

Comment

HOLY ****. That's called an unexpected reaveling. THANK YOU EPIC!!!

Comment

"When releasing a product using UE4, you're signing up to pay Epic 5% of gross product revenue from users, regardless of what company collects the revenue. That means: If your game makes $10 on the App Store, Apple may pay you $7, but you'd pay Epic $0.50 (5% of $10)."

Well, it should be 5% of $7! If I make only $7, why do I have to pay from $10 ?????

Comment

Good news: Finally get to see Unreal Engine 4
                Bad news: 20 per month fee. So basically this has killed individual users that want to learn.
                Can't help but think that this is NOT good news, it's a shame because was looking forward to trying UE4.

Comment

Originally posted by ronnie42 View Post
                  Bad news: 20 per month fee. So basically this has killed individual users that want to learn.
                  Can't help but think that this is NOT good news, it's a shame because was looking forward to trying UE4.
                  20$ per month is DIRT CHEAP, come on, your internet access cost more

Comment

What about this? Is this cheap also?

"When releasing a product using UE4, you're signing up to pay Epic 5% of gross product revenue from users, regardless of what company collects the revenue. That means: If your game makes $10 on the App Store, Apple may pay you $7, but you'd pay Epic $0.50 (5% of $10)."

We will have to pay for money that we don't earn.

Comment

Originally posted by ronnie42 View Post
                      These are exactly my first thoughts as well. I play around with UDK and its different Tools and I would love to do the same with UE4, but can't/won't afford 19$ (how much is that in Euros?) a month, when there are some month, when I have no time or energy to play around with it.

ciao
                      reropme

Comment

I thought I would release it for free!

Comment

Originally posted by Racer1 View Post
                          What about this? Is this cheap also?

We will have to pay for money that we don't earn.
                          Yeah, it is, UDK was 25%, this is 5%
                          You earn $10, you then pay Apple 30% and Epic 5%

Comment

This is insanelly epic!

Comment

If I pay Apple 30%, I only get 70% right? So, If I only have 70%, why should I pay from 100 % ????

Comment

Working...
                              X