Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

February 2014 UDK Released - Build Notes are here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well that's only the requirements to use the UE4 toolset, not to actually play games with UE4.
    hell you can play UE4's Tappy Bird on a web browser. it's all about the systems the we all (UE4 dev users) target for release, and you can go as low as you can possibly expect (like I said, iOS-like graphics on a WinXP computer. and iOS-like graphics can mean a lot of different things).
    and I'd bet it's the same for iOS. making a simple game with sprite graphics? I doubt that requires the latest iPhone.
    android? wouldn't know. I haven't really cared about it (finally bought an android phone just this week. farewell nokia symbian, go die in a dark corner). I haven't seen the supported Android specs but having non-homogeneous hardwares I'd expect the specs to be somewhat higher than iOS (just like PC vs. consoles)

I've barely used UE4 myself (and pretty much only the C++ part), as I really want to finish my UDK incarnation of Elium first. As such I can't really speak much in favor of it.
    I wanted to start porting my combat system to UE4 but at that time there was no way to play an animation from code (there is now, but I dislike the idea of AnimMontages completely). Then I tried starting an NPC society implementation but a major bug prevented me from working on it (fixed only in v4.2).

but yes, I agree it's a shame epic abandoned UDK. We use fullsource UE3 at work and it's really nice to see how much can be done with it, and also some features that require little to no effort but epic left out (like sampling a texture into the WorldPositionOffset node in a material)

Comment

hey epic what's that? why there is no announcement or release note?

http://download.udk.com/UDKInstall-2014-05.exe

Comment

Still no changelog for the new may build?

Comment

good news 2014-05 UDK
          Thanks EpicGames

Comment

Originally posted by Bonyback View Post
            good news 2014-05 UDK
            Thanks EpicGames
            Its been here for a while(on reqwest),but i still dont know what is fixed since there are no release notes.Im wondering if Epic has awready decided the future of udk?It woud be nice if they open a thread here and speak with the comunity and hear our opinion.Im planing on upgrading my pc soon and will move to ue4 but im still going to contnue to use udk professionally and loud like to rely on updates.

Comment

Hello everybody,

maybe this is the better thread for my problem. I've updated my UDK (Engine 3) from version June 2013 to May 2014 (10907 to 12264). I opened the file I worked on before the update and it looked way to bright. I coudln't figure out why so I opened the standard environment, just to be sure it's a global thing, not my file. Even that standard environment looks too bright. The attached image below shows the change. It seems that the gamma value and the brightness are set to 0,5 and +0,5 (speaking in photoshop terms, I don't know how they are measured in Unreal). I'm still new to this so so maybe I've overseen the lighting changes in the release notes or something is reset which I'm not aware of. Any hint is helpful.

I hope you can help, thanks in advance!

Comment

@konem: It seems that 2014 May have errors and was removed. You better use 2014 Feb.
                https://www.unrealengine.com/news?ca...UDK%20Releases

Comment

Currently all UE3/UDK games crash with the iOS8 Beta, would be good if Epic updates UDK before the final release in September. Otherwise that will be a huge problem for all exisiting UDK games on the store. I'am still hoping that gets fixed on Apple's side somehow, but that is unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by sammy-udk View Post
                    @konem: It seems that 2014 May have errors and was removed. You better use 2014 Feb.
                    https://www.unrealengine.com/news?ca...UDK%20Releases

Since I am already using UDKInstall-2014-02, I am guessing there is no reason for me to download the 05 release since it's broken?

Where does it say it is broken? Because the release has not been removed, it's still downloadable here >> https://www.unrealengine.com/products/udk

So is it broken or should we download and use it? What is new in it? I am not sure Epic is on this site anymore. They are probably all on Unreal 4 forums now. )

Oh well, back to using my 02 UDK release.

Comment

I remembered there was a thread titled "May 2014 UDK Released" and some complained about it.
                      That thread disappears now.

Comment

Thank you guys! That's an info I can handle. I had no clue at all and questioning the May version was something I didn't think of... d'oh. I think, whatever this May version brings, I can live without it if I just can work normally again. So I will use the February Version.

Comment

@konem

Just an FYI, the bright lighting 'bug' that you have occurs in 02-2014 release as well.

I have noticed it only occurs in installations without the Sample game. I am guessing it's because (maybe) the Empty folder option isn't installing post process or default files used by empty map in UDK, which is probably installed with Sample game packages.

Comment

Hi NikSha, definitely my interest, thank you! Ok, would you have a little plan of what to check? Shall I check the installation folder, could I copy something from the old installation folders to the new ones?

Comment

So still no news on the may changelog? Cmon epic, please tell us the changes!

Comment

let them do their job man, you will know soon enough

Comment

Working...
                                X