Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

November 2012 UDK now available!

November 2012 UDK Beta Upgrade Notes

Epic Games, Inc. has released the November 2012 Unreal Development Kit (UDK) Beta, the latest version of the free edition of Unreal Engine 3 (UE3) that provides access to the award-winning 3D game engine and professional toolset used in blockbuster video game development, architectural visualization, mobile game development, 3D rendering,digital films and more. The latest UDK beta is available now at http://www.unrealengine.com/en/udk/downloads/.

Featured Updates

The November 2012 UDK release provides many new bells and whistles for mobile developers. Stay on the cutting edge with UDK’s support for iOS 6, Retina display and all of Apple’s newly available iOS devices.

Unreal Landscape’s new mobile material system along with UE3’s new mobile shader analyzer also put power in your hands in developing the highest quality visuals. The November UDK also introduces a new Perforce server setup wizard, a tool that makes it easy to start a new project from scratch, Logitech G-key and LED support and much more.

For full list of features and updates, click here: http://www.unrealengine.com/news/nov...upgrade_notes/

Click link to go to the November 2012 UDK download page: http://www.unrealengine.com/en/udk/downloads/

Hooray for Mobile Landscape! That's one less thing to worry about now when targeting multiple platforms.

Comment

Great! All the latest i-Devices now officially supported!

Comment

The LED SDK dll sounds really great in incorporating the keyboard LEDs into gameplay, and will be great for a bunch of different genres! If the players have an LED keyboard of course...

Comment

So no bug fixes or anything that affects pc devs right? I.e. I can ignore this and stick with july?

Comment

Originally posted by nabiul View Post
            So no bug fixes or anything that affects pc devs right? I.e. I can ignore this and stick with july?
            I just tested the new installer which installs the small version of UDK. There is no performance improvement through this so basicaly yes. ;( The only advantage would be a possibly smaller file size when you publish your game. So yeah seeing that this 4 months long update has only gimmicky content for PC developers is quite sad.

Comment

There are lots of changes in OnlineSteamSubsystem, I haven't had time to look at it all but it seemed like mostly about switching functions to UnrealScript and removing redundancies. Also some heavy IpDrv package changes and additions, depending on what you do, those could be useful.

Probably the greatest addition though, is the empty project setting. No UTGame content whatsoever, no maps, no assets, no code. It's awesome.

Comment

I.e. I can ignore this and stick with july?
                I believe the best thing is to either stick with one release, or to upgrade at every release and fix whatever small stuff it might have broken.
                else if you upgrade, say, 8 months later, there might be a bunch of broken stuff over other broken stuff, aka. might turn into a messy job to fix
                then again changes aren't significan anymore so I doubt anything breaks anymore

Comment

This is a somewhat specific/silly question, but does this version of UDK allow for the switching between Landscape mode and Portrait mode on mobile devices? Having such a feature would make a particular aspect of our game much easier. (If it doesn't, we already have workarounds, I am just wondering )

Comment

Clean Starter Project Tool
                    excellent excellent excellent

Comment

I think they fixed a bug causing the background of SceneCaptures in Materials to render black when drawing them on the Canvas. Maybe it was already fixed in the last release, though.

Comment

Is there any documentation for the mobile shader analyzer?? How does one actually use it?!

I saw some command line arguments, tried them, and had no results.

Comment

I'm having trouble compiling my existing Code Base, after installing the November Beta, using the Clean Starter Project Tool option. I'm not using any UT related stuff, so an UDK base stripped of all UT content and source codes is very fine. However, some of my classes are based on UDKBase classes. Now when i try to compile my game, i get the error "Superclass UDKProjectile not found". I managed to find out that it seems to be related to the compilation order of script packages. When i manually edit the UDKEngine.ini and cut and paste the line "EditPackages=UDKBase" before the line "EditPackages=MyGame" (under [UnrealEd.EditorEngine]) it works. But that doesn't really feels right (UDKEngine.ini may be overwritten by DefaultEngine.ini). I tried to manually edit DefaultEngine.ini but to no avail. Whenever UDKEngine.ini is created, "EditPackages=UDKBase" comes after "EditPackages=MyGame" and i get a compile error.
                          I find it strange that the clean UDK installation wouldn't let me derive me from UDKBase.

EDIT:
                          I managed it. By manually editing the DefaultEngine.ini and DefaultEngineUDK.ini the compilation order is now right and there are no more compilation errors. Still, i wonder why that won't work out of the box. It's not like they stripped UDKBase from the clean install. It's part of the base UDK, right? Why would my package be compiled before UDKBase and not the other way around?

EDIT #2:
                          What is this? A minute ago, the Editor (Win64) would just start fine, now it gives me an error warning about managed code and a missing UDK.exe.config file and exits. I had to manually copy the UDK.exe.config file from the July BETA into the Binaries\Win64 folder in order to get the Editor running again. Aren't updates supposed to make an application more stable? Why are files disappearing like that?

EDIT #3:
                          Trying to get the November update to work. Using my Package will crash UDK. Spend the better of the last two hours to make it work. Until i realized that not only UDK.exe.config was gone, but half of the Binaries in the Binaries\Win64 folder. The reason UDK couldn't load my Packages was simply the fact that the UE3ShaderCompileWorker.exe was missing and upon compiling the shaders, UDK simply crashed. And i went over all my assets in search for dangling references and whatnot.
                          I'm just sharing this in case somebody experiences this too. Make sure your UDK installation is complete. I uninstalled and then immediately re-installed UDK and that worked.

Comment

anyone knows if the lighting bug with foliage tool placed staticmeshes is fixed? I don't want to try and migrate my complex codebase to the new version if it isn't.

Comment

Does the perforce API has been upgraded or just the wizard changed?
                              I'm asking this because, in the July version this is a 2011 API version with no SSL support whereas the latest release manage this

thanks,

Comment

Working...
                              X