Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Free Art Tool Released Thanks to Epic Friday - Feedback Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free Art Tool Released Thanks to Epic Friday - Feedback Thread

Epic Games Senior Environment Artist Warren Marshall recently set out to refine his manual drawing skills. While Warren is both highly technical and artistic, he felt the need to revisit the basics and learn more about perspective.

“Gotta grind those fundamentals,” he said. Voicing how making perspective grids by hand can be frustrating, he continued, “The programmer in me wanted to do something cooler. Enter Epic Friday!” Warren describes the app he developed, Carapace, as “a simple program that lets you place vanishing points around an image placeholder to flesh out the shell of your drawing. Shell, carapace… Get it?”

Carapace enables users to place up to nine vanishing points or as few as one. One-, two and three-point perspective grids are possible along with some extras to accommodate any weird angles in a scene.

• Once the grid is in place, click CTRL+C and to place the grid on the clipboard.

• Paste it into Photoshop and use it as a guide!

“Carapace can also determine the perspective of existing images,” said Warren. “Say you have a piece of concept art that you want to paint over or add something to it. If you can’t work out the perspective, you can use this program to load the image and lay down trace lines. With two trace lines on the screen, hitting a hot key will place a vanishing point at the intersection spot. This saves you trying to figure out where to place the vanishing points by clicking and dragging and guessing.”

Today, we’re very pleased to share Warren’s clever app with the community.

Download Carapace here for free!

* Requires .NET 4.0

Very useful app and thanks for giving this out for free!

Feedback
    -after make 2 trace lines and CTRL+SHIFT+# to make a point, can you make it unselected? I've accidentally moved it after I made it.
    -the F1 menu was kind of hidden...maybe have some kind of UI that also brings up the F1 menu
    -I would love this to be a Photoshop plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by heavyness View Post
      Very useful app and thanks for giving this out for free!

Feedback
      -after make 2 trace lines and CTRL+SHIFT+# to make a point, can you make it unselected? I've accidentally moved it after I made it.
      I like having it selected but you can just hit ESCAPE after creating it as a work around...

I would love this to be a Photoshop plugin.
      I know, right? I wanted that too but I only had a few hours to work on this and I couldn't rummage up enough info on plugins to do it that way so I fell back what I knew!

Comment

I should say great software.Small,simple but very useful !And you gave it for free which makes me feel only grateful !
        It would be great if indeed this was somewhat linked to photoshop more directly so we can get the different vanishing points on a different layer,since having that much lines one over the other gets distracting and confusing(especially when we add VP3+).One simple idea could be to simply add a visibility toggle for a selected VP.Since now if I wish to save each VP on a separate layer I have to delete all other VP's to do that, and lose the position I have chosen or made traced.

But overall I'm really happy with what you did.This won't make perspective drawing more easy but sure saves a ton of time.Finlay some artist did what should had been done a long time ago.Thanks man!

Comment

I'd love for someone to make volume estimates that can be used as model checkers for modelling/prototyping in sculptris using box orthographic views, i.e. draw a line from side ortho and bottom ortho and where the line meets you get a rough 3D volume outline of the shape.

It should be fairly easy to cast lines based based on correctly oriented bitmaps on the sides of a box. I'd love to have a tool like that and it should be fairly easy to write one. If someone can pass the message on to someone at epic that could poke someone to make it, I'd love you guys for eternity.

http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/

Comment

Originally posted by okuma_10 View Post
            It would be great if indeed this was somewhat linked to photoshop more directly so we can get the different vanishing points on a different layer,since having that much lines one over the other gets distracting and confusing(especially when we add VP3+).One simple idea could be to simply add a visibility toggle for a selected VP.Since now if I wish to save each VP on a separate layer I have to delete all other VP's to do that, and lose the position I have chosen or made traced.
            Yep, copying each point to a different layer is something I'd like to do. I think I'll add a toggle to disable the selected point so you'll be able to copy out the points you want without having to delete the others. It's on the list!

Originally posted by supre888 View Post
            I'd love for someone to make volume estimates that can be used as model checkers for modelling/prototyping in sculptris using box orthographic views, i.e. draw a line from side ortho and bottom ortho and where the line meets you get a rough 3D volume outline of the shape.

It should be fairly easy to cast lines based based on correctly oriented bitmaps on the sides of a box. I'd love to have a tool like that and it should be fairly easy to write one. If someone can pass the message on to someone at epic that could poke someone to make it, I'd love you guys for eternity.

http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/
            I don't entirely follow what you're asking for here. Is there a link you could send me that explains it better?

Comment

Originally posted by WarrenM View Post
              I don't entirely follow what you're asking for here. Is there a link you could send me that explains it better?

Get a blank sheet of paper. Bend one in half so it forms the side of a box. Imagine a 2D orthographic view of some drawing from the side on the the side of the paper (we'll use a circle in this example). Now imagine a circle on the bottom flat portion. Now imagine a STRAIGHT LINE coming out from a single point on the circle going straight up from the bottom, now imagine a straight line coming out from one point on right side so that both lines meet in the middle. Where the lines meet form the beginning of a shape, you repeat that process for each dot on an outline and you get a 3D volume.

I got a pic here... I'm simplifying a bit here because usually you want back/front ortho as well but you can see the potential for skilled artists to make up any deficit esp when checking work/trying to find the right 'look' and compare against things you've photgraphed, seen, etc, etc.

Comment

Thanks for this tool - it looks really useful. I'm having a problem with it though - while it works on my Windows 7 laptop, when I try to use it with my Windows XP tablet PC, I get an error message ('Carapace has encountered a problem and needs to close'). I looked at the Event Viewer and it says 'The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception'. Is Carapace not suited to the tablet pc edition of XP?

Comment

It requires .NET 4.0 so that might be the issue ... beyond that, I'm not sure! I wrote and tested it on Windows 7 so if there's some XP specific issue I'm not sure...

Comment

Warren, this is a super dope tool. Any chance of a Mac version?

Comment

I have .NET 4.0 installed already, so I'm inclined to think that it's an XP issue. If you can't find the problem on your own, would it help if it was open sourced under a restrictive license? That way, more people could contribute to it, maybe port it to Mono (for the Mac users), and hopefully find the problem with my XP machine.

Comment

Hi.Just wanted to note that besides having fun with it....I started using it in an project and it really speeds up things!Really thanks man!May love light be with you in all your work!

Comment

Very Cool!

Comment

Mac version seems unlikely in the short term. The main reason being, I don't have a Mac. But maybe one day...

ScheherazadeNeRai - Blergh. Then yeah, it must be something XP specific then. That's too bad. I don't think we're going to open source this right now but maybe in the future...

Comment

This is a dream tool for me as an Illustrator. Thanks so much Warren!

Comment

Working...
                              X