Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UDK Royalty Threshold Raised to US$50,000

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is good news. I recently completed a playable prototype, which has been very well received.

We're planning to expand it to a full release aiming for end of the year, and are making technological decisions before beginning production.

We are interested in launching on PC and other platforms, and the UDK licensing FAQ is vague regarding needs/costs in publishing to non-PC platforms (PS3, 360 etc..)

Some more information in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

@phosfiend: UDK can only create games for PC and iOS at the moment.

Comment

From the FAQ:

Q: I’ve developed a UDK game I wish to sell via Xbox LIVE®, PLAYSTATION® NETWORK and/or on the PC. What's the next step?

A: Commercial release on the PC is already covered and we've got great terms at www.udk.com/licensing for those who want to sell games created with UDK for PC. The UDK does not currently support the Xbox 360 or the PS3.

Console is a little more complicated because you need to be licensed by the console manufacturers before you can get a development kit, which involves a concept submission and (hint, hint!) UDK would be great for proving your worth in the concept submission stage.

If you can get through that step we're more than happy to talk with you about making a full source code license available under great business terms.

Comment

Originally posted by phosfiend View Post
          The UDK does not currently support the Xbox 360 or the PS3.
          Just as I said

Edit:
          And it clearly states what you have to do, demo your prototype to the console manufacturers so you can get a dev kit ( they cost quite some money, and they very rarely give them to just people, you need an official studio with an office, employees and such ). Then you need a full UE3 license, which probably will cost you more than just a UDK commercial license.

Comment

So I'm assuming there aren't many people who have jumped through this hoop yet?

"If you can get through that step we're more than happy to talk with you about making a full source code license available under great business terms."

If so, I'd live to hear your feedback/suggestions - unless of course you're NDA'd.

Thanks

Comment

This is great news indeed.Thanks "Mark" and the team looking out for the starving Indie community. These are the stuff that will always keep Epic on top for years and years to come.

Comment

I want ask some , I know UDK free royalty total is First 50000USD + 2nd to 10th game release every times 5000USD .
                if Myfirstgame total profit 40,000USD , royalty 25% = 10000USD , so free royalty remains 40,000USD , and My 2ndgame to My10th game have profit is 4,000 USD for every release, royalty 25% = 1000USD , so every times remains 4000 USD , ok , now I already use 10 games release count, free royalty remains 40000USD + 36000 USD = 76000USD.
                when I release My 11th game , the profit is 40,000 USD , royalty is 25%=10000USD , so the free royalty remains is 76000 -10000 = 66000USD ??? right ?
                maybe when release 11th game , no any free royalty threshold give me ? because EPIC only give me 10 times free royalty game release ??

Comment

Originally posted by stevenchau432 View Post
                  I want ask some , I know UDK free royalty total is First 50000USD + 2nd to 10th every times 5000USD .
                  if Myfirstgame total profit 40,000USD , royalty 25% = 10000USD , so free royalty remains 40,000USD , and My 2ndgame to My10th game have profit is 4,000 USD for every release, royalty 25% = 1000USD , so every times remains 4000 USD , ok , now I already use 10 games release count, free royalty remains 40000USD + 36000 USD = 76000USD.
                  when I release My 11th game , the profit is 40,000 USD , royalty is 25%=10000USD , so the free royalty remains is 76000 -10000 = 66000USD ??? right ?
                  maybe when release 11th game , no any free royalty threshold give me ? because EPIC only give me 10 times free royalty game release ??
                  You'll have to find a way to explain that more clearly because I cannot make out what you are asking at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
                    You'll have to find a way to explain that more clearly because I cannot make out what you are asking at all.
                    ok , sorry , I more clearly explain again .
                    when I release My 11th game , can still get free royalty ?
                    (because free royalty is First 50000USD and 2nd to 10th 5000usd)

Comment

Where did you get the 2nd through 10th thing from? Is that stated somewhere?

Your first $50,000 of total revenue from UDK is royalty free, regardless of how many games it takes you to achieve that number. After that you pay the 25% royalty. I think the Licensing page clearly explains how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
                        Where did you get the 2nd through 10th thing from? Is that stated somewhere?

Your first $50,000 of total revenue from UDK is royalty free, regardless of how many games it takes you to achieve that number. After that you pay the 25% royalty. I think the Licensing page clearly explains how it works.
                        OH ! thank , I see , the free royalty total is 50000USD , regardless how many game release , no only first release.

( because I read Mark Rein say : which 10-times increase over of US$5,000. )
                        the [10 times ] mean , I guess is 10 times game release . Sorry , I understand wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by stevenchau432 View Post
                          OH ! thank , I see , the free royalty total is 50000USD , regardless how many game release , no only first release.

( because I read Mark Rein say : which 10-times increase over of US$5,000. )
                          the [10 times ] mean , I guess is 10 times game release . Sorry , I understand wrong.
                          omg dude you need to put more effort to your english...

Comment

You are too kind-- really. Nobody else does anything like this, nobody at all & i just LOVE the way you casually dropped the info. in a "by the way" fashion. My eyeballs almost fell out of my head when i read it last month ( was it last month ?). I would have said so sooner-- but just got permission to post this week & got confirmed for my UDK commercial developers license today !!! Kind Regards, mark-p.

Comment

So let's say I made a million with UDK and the sales are still going strong. If I purchase the license, do I still have to pay royalty?

So.. a better example. The game I released was made by UDK and has a subscription fee. Since the game is doing so well, can I purchase UE3 to prevent royalty or I have to pay royalty regardless because the game was made with UDK?

Comment

This question is best discussed with the licensing department.

Comment

Working...
                                X