Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UDK Royalty Threshold Raised to US$50,000

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is aaaaaaaamazing for students. there aren't that many jobs, lots of places are being shut down and many students leave university not good enough. all you need is a programmer/artist and assemble a crew :0)

start your own Infinity Ward aha

im guessing this is just for app store games??

Comment

Alright, I've looked at it once IIRC, but I was bombarded with a ton of links, different programs I believe, didn't know which one was which so I kinda didn't DL it, matter of fact I don't even know if I was looking at the right thing.

This is pretty awesome, interesting to get some experience than none at all, even if it's a small project.

FTR, my comp is a Dual core 2.3 with an onboard GFX, Lol. I'm in the process of building one however, just financial roadblocks currently, so I want to try out on this one.

Thanks Flak.

Comment

Originally posted by BorisK View Post
        This goes for any game made with UDK. The license is the same regardless of platform or how it is distributed.

Comment

Thanks, although my game wont sale even $100

Comment

Originally posted by BorisK View Post
            this is aaaaaaaamazing for students. there aren't that many jobs, lots of places are being shut down and many students leave university not good enough. all you need is a programmer/artist and assemble a crew :0)
            Go for it! At least the most you'd have to pay on the first $50k is the $99 fee. BTW, that's the cost for a license for your whole venture. There are no per-seat costs or anything like that if you're going to make a game.
            This is for anything you do with UDK. We use app stores as an example because we figure most UDK games will be sold digitally because that's the easiest way for a new developer to get their games to market. Selling games in retail boxes isn't within easy reach of most start-up and indie developers.

Comment

Just a curious question, I currently have no games on sale (and the one I'm working on I cannot sell, or probably release without someone setting their lawyers on me lol), but Im sure those who do would like to know: Does this apply to games sold before today?

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle_Katarn View Post
                Just a curious question, I currently have no games on sale (and the one I'm working on I cannot sell, or probably release without someone setting their lawyers on me lol), but Im sure those who do would like to know: Does this apply to games sold before today?
                Yes. We updated the license agreement for everyone.

Comment

Very cool Thank you guys for this wonderful editor and this new news!

Comment

thanks for the intel ffejnosliw and Mark Rein

time to plot a scheme and get a team together *rubs hands like Top Cat*

Comment

Thank you very much. These new terms are more than for indie game developers. Like really, I've considered switching engines in the past because the licensing was just "ok" but now this thing beats any other hands-down.

Comment

This is just fantastic! Just brilliant for indie game developers and students!

Thank you so much!!

Comment

Simple pictures make me happy. Awesome news with awesome explanation.

Originally posted by Flak View Post
                          Mark is "Teh Hawtness"

Comment

Mark, do you guys actually make any Profit by doing this...? Or is it just 'cause y'all are Epically Generous and cool?

I'm just curious, y'know ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Allar View Post
                              Simple pictures make me happy. Awesome news with awesome explanation.

MY EYES!!!

Serious, this is great guys thanks for the generosity. Now to reach that 50k goal....

Comment

Damn! UDK just got back on my radar and top of the list . Thanks Epic!!! Also i liked the thinking behind such a move. One can get proper footing now for development and go for the full UE3 license with lesser risk..Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                                X