Size of *.udk map is limited to 2GB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@frankit,
    Hi, firstly, let me thank you for that elaborate and detailed explanation. Really appreciated.
    Yep, the 2GB is baked lighting... sadly.

Thanks for your kind words about the link I've provided.

I am definitely willing to take the route of fully dynamic lighting.What do I need to do in order to have fully dynamic lighting in my level? If you would kindly share those past posts bookmarked I'd be very, very grateful.
    Which ini file is responsible for the warning about lighting needed to be rebuild?
    What is DDL?

Apologies if there is too many questions.

That static mesh is simply a mesh ~30k verts scaled up

Best regards and thanks once again for your help.

P.S.

Man, where can I look at your work?

Comment

Frankit-not sure why you get a warning that the lighting needs rebuilt.if its all dynamically lit there should be no warning.

smallb-have you tried compressing shadowmaps?

Comment

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads...untime-Foliage

you should maybe consider replacing some of the foliage with this.

Comment

Originally posted by smallB View Post
          Which ini file is responsible for the warning about lighting needed to be rebuild?
          http://oculusdrifter.blogspot.com/20...t-udk-nag.html

What is DDL?
          Dominant Directional Light. The actor you'll hook into a Matinee movement track, (with optional brightness + color tracks to create a full Day / Night cycle).

Man, where can I look at your work?
          Good friends on here like Majic12 and Obihb and are helping me tweak some things, will probably post some pics / clips soon after....

What do I need to do in order to have fully dynamic lighting in my level? If you would kindly share those past posts bookmarked I'd be very, very grateful.
          Probably a good place to start is to look at how Epic created their Dynamic Lighting demo with the night and day foliage demo map: NightAndDayMap.udk (part of the UDK demos). Consider these performance tweaks if you need to use Color + Brightness tracks (either Toggling postprocess volumes or using unrealscript to change color / brightness) :-

Links:

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads...1#post31858322
          https://forums.epicgames.com/threads...light=lighting

Links to more advanced tutorials, changing night sky (using MIC) etc :-

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads...k#post31591045
          https://forums.epicgames.com/threads...k#post31695084

Comment

@gaz661
            @frankit
            Guys, really want to thank you very much for your help.
            Really really appreciated.
            Best regards guys.

Comment

@gaz661
              @frankit
              Guys, really want to thank you very much for your help.
              Really really appreciated.
              Best regards guys.
              No worries, good luck with the project!

Originally posted by gaz661 View Post
              Frankit-not sure why you get a warning that the lighting needs rebuilt.if its all dynamically lit there should be no warning.
              Interesting... Whenver I make minor changes to a level I get both warnings, even if rebuilding pathing or lighting isn't needed. I've always thought of it as a UDK level change detector. If you know a workaround to kill it permanently please share Gaz661... Cheers!

Comment

@yummy-vegetables

Hi, thank you for your reply.
                My map is basically one "huge" piece of landmass, which I had sculpted in ZBrush, that is, it is a static mesh in UDK. So I didn't use neither landscapes nor terrain. I also (I believe), cannot use streaming as this is a map that is visible as a whole to a player due to his flying capabilities. If you would be kind enough and either (sorry, this is not a self promotion I just really badly need to solve that problem), anyway, if you could visit my website and go to media page to see trailer you will see what I'm talking about:

www.insaneinsects.com

or you can watch this same trailer directly on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EBM8X-F5bo

Thank you.
                Yep my maps are large landscapes in multiplayer which also cannot be streamed as any player can be in any one of the maps. It still is better to split them out into different maps then as I said when you load the level they remain permanently streamed. Its an option you have when you load them the first time.

If it was me, I'd load the map with the large mesh you sculptured, then use the landscape tool to sculpture a landscape that fits around the mesh. Once that was done you could delete the mesh then split the landscape out into various levels via the landscape component editor tool. Once you have the maps then simply go into the Top viewport in the editor and copy then paste any meshes to the various maps, they will paste into the same position.

Another alternative is why not split the mesh into say 10 chunks and copy paste all the meshes into other maps which are permanently streamed ...

Comment

@yummy-vegetables
                  Hi, thank you for your help. Will give a try!

Best regards to all of you guys!

Edit
                  #yummy-vegetables
                  Something just occurred to me, the trick with sculpting landscape... I don't think landscape can be "closed", what I mean by that is that is impossible to have, how shall I put it... top and bottom and sides, that is, if my predator will fly under it, I want the player to see rocky bottom, and when player flies over it I want him to see surface. Is that possible or am I talking nonsense?

Comment

A. Use two landscapes sandwiched top + bottom (rotated 180 degrees)...
                    B. Enlarge rocks that scale like S_Rock_01 and arrange them underneath to hide one-sided landscape material...

Comment

Landscape can be rotated using the rotate widget so create multiple landscapes and rotate a number or like I said split your mesh into chunks and copy the chunks into multiple maps

Comment

@frankit
                        @yummy-vegetables
                        Thanks guys, will do my best!

Regards

Comment

Frankit-for a fully dynamic level I goto world properties-lighmass and turn on force no precomputed lighting.
                          then in each mesh actor goto staticmesh component-lighting and turn off use precomputed shadows.
                          you have to build once but it takes seconds and then no more warnings.

Comment

@gaz661
                            Thanks for the info man!

Comment

Originally posted by gaz661 View Post
                              Frankit-for a fully dynamic level I goto world properties-lighmass and turn on force no precomputed lighting.
                              then in each mesh actor goto staticmesh component-lighting and turn off use precomputed shadows.
                              you have to build once but it takes seconds and then no more warnings.
                              Great, thanks Gaz661!

Comment

Working...
                              X