Size of *.udk map is limited to 2GB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Size of *.udk map is limited to 2GB

Guys, I've tried to build lighting on my huge, and fantastic map, and unfortunately I've hit brick wall. If size of your map exceeds 2GB UDK will not be able to save it. Is there any setting in one of those ini files?

Really appreciate any help.

Thank you.

2gb? i get warnings at 300 mb!

Comment

0.0 I thought my 35mb map was big. 640k should be enough for anyone

Comment

That's wery vell me be so, but it still doesn't answer my question

Comment

Long before my maps got that big I'd opt for steaming but otherwise, sry, I can't help with an answer.

Comment

sorry,cant help either,as I say,i don't go over 300mb.didnt you get any warnings prior to this?

Comment

Sure, I got warnings as soon as I've reached 300mb. This limit is set in ini file. How do you split a map then into smaller maps? I have a map with one isle and building inside, how am I supposed to split it as suggested by UDK's dialog box?

Comment

streaming I suppose,as snipe34 suggests.

but thanks for the heads up on the ini file.i might raise mine by 100mb.but I don't think going as high as you have is a good idea.

I haven't seen your map so I cant really say but I bet you could lower the size somehow.whats in your map that makes it so big?

Comment

Hey smallB! Good to see you're still working with UDK! I believe that warning only applies to UPK's, which of course can be easily split-up. Whereas if your lighting build is over 2GB, I don't think there is a workaround, short of using lightmass importance volumes and dialing down lighting quality settings. Sorry! UDK's bloated lighting / file size issue got me switch to Dynamic Lighting early one and I haven't looked back...

Comment

I've built many large landscape maps and yes the UDK's can get large, my maps have thousands of meshes (Warning - be wary of draw cal issues, light and impact on frame rates etc ). If you've used landscape (I wouldn't recommend terrain ... ) then you can easily split it into streamed levels. Make sure you backup before starting and then if its a landscape thing use the landscape editor to move a component to a streamed level and copy and paste your assets into the various streamed levels.

You can set the streamed level to always be loaded so it would behave like a single large map.

Comment

@frankit
                      Hey man, good to hear from you!
                      Let's talk business now:
                      You say:

"I believe that warning only applies to UPK's, which of course can be easily split-up"

My map, (which has extension *.udk) also gives me this warning, so is there a way to split that map?

BTW, how do you switch to dynamic lighting?

Looking forward to hearing from you and hope all is good with you!

Comment

@yummy-vegetables

Hi, thank you for your reply.
                        My map is basically one "huge" piece of landmass, which I had sculpted in ZBrush, that is, it is a static mesh in UDK. So I didn't use neither landscapes nor terrain. I also (I believe), cannot use streaming as this is a map that is visible as a whole to a player due to his flying capabilities. If you would be kind enough and either (sorry, this is not a self promotion I just really badly need to solve that problem), anyway, if you could visit my website and go to media page to see trailer you will see what I'm talking about:

www.insaneinsects.com

or you can watch this same trailer directly on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EBM8X-F5bo

Thank you.

Comment

Not that I know of sorry. Its level streaming or dialing down the lighting quality...

Comment

The link looks great. But I don't see any level of detail in there to explain a 2GB file, unless its baked lighting which you haven't talked about much.

What's the file size before you build lighting? I'm using all of UDK's game space (a detailed planet and corona) with 30k meshes and the core file is still only 130 MB (w/o baked lighting, dynamic only).

I'm not strong on baked lighting but there's a lot you can do to simplify it and reduce file size. What are your lightmass settings, lighting quality, shadow detail... Are you using lightmass importance volumes etc? What's the file size after preview lighting is built? What's the file size after production?

Need to ask about the static mesh that's a substitute for landscape / terrain. Its not possible to import an SM that large, unless its incredibly low poly and basic. So instead I assume its lots of smaller SM's joined together in the UDK editor... If so are these SM's a factor in the gigantic file size that's unique to your map?

Comment

Dynamic Lighting is much easier to get working than baked, but there are some key performance considerations. The good news is though, they've all been solved.

For dynamic you no longer bake lighting ever again, and you can disable the stupid nag warning about lighting needs to be rebuilt in the INI's (I have that link if you need it). First connect your DDL light into a looped matinee that rotates the light, and changes the color, brightness so create a day / night cycle if you wish. There are two or three good tutorials on this on the forums already. Some use MIC's to create a nighttime starry sky, but this is completely optional.

Afterwards look at your FPS. Has it taken a hit of 10-15 FPS? Is this a problem? Note, if you don't alter the color or brightness, the penalty may not apply. But if its a problem, you can solve it by tweaking the brightness / color changes in unrealscript, or toggle PostProcess volumes in Kismet. If you decide to go down the dynamic lighting route let me know as I have all the relevant past posts bookmarked.

The great thing about dynamic lighting is that your level is constantly reinvented as you play it, because the light and shadow is always changing how it affects buildings, foliage etc, so the map changes all the time, and its more interesting to look at.

Comment

Working...
                              X