Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do so many forums put down UDK in favour of Unity ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Project-Anarchy was another old engine(cant remember the name)before havok both it but i gues its going the udk way.Tegleg,have you looked at the c4 engine by terathon?It was somehow poplular between indies years ago but for my surprise i see that the forums are still active so i guess its alive.Ive never approached it as it uses to much coding i gues and not for me but i suspect you may find it interesting.
    For the rest of us we will have to folow one of the few that are still standing and fighting(not a big range of choice)but i suspect that inhouse engines are becoming more and more popular.We just dont have acces to them

Comment

the c4 engine by terathon costs too much for me thanks. there are a few decent looking engines but are in the 1 - 3 thousand range for a commercial license.
      Epic have nailed it with the ue4 subscription plan and price, shame others don't follow suit. project anarchy was perfect apart from no pc export, but the lack of dev support means its already no good for ios, and it wont be long before android gives it some trouble with the new gpu technology that is emerging.

the ideal solution would be if Epic do a build of ue3 with android support and let us have it for a reasonable price. i know ue3 android packaging is complex and problematic but let us deal with that. at least the engine is fully featured and relatively stable and it will run on the phones and tablets people actually own.

Comment

I guess you are right.I was talking with frankit how cool will be if they give us a udk version with enlighten incorporated(as ue3 supports it)like unity 5 but android is nice too.From what i see the C4 Engine for Mobile Platforms costs only 300.Not a killer but i suspect its a hard to learn as there are very few tutorials and 1 book.

Comment

thats 300 for android on top of the 900 for the engine isnt it? and thats per user.

Comment

Space Shock is UDK but there is some partial UE4 porting in progress. It is fully doable in UE4 too. I think that any project without complex physics is doable in UE4 now. Also, They use to fix bugs soon after report. ... I sound like fanboy, lol (I am starting to think that I am one )

Comment

Originally posted by majic12 View Post
              I guess you are right.I was talking with frankit how cool will be if they give us a udk version with enlighten incorporated(as ue3 supports it)like unity 5 but android is nice too.From what i see the C4 Engine for Mobile Platforms costs only 300.Not a killer but i suspect its a hard to learn as there are very few tutorials and 1 book.
              Anyone have links to side-by-side photos of a scene with :-

1. Enlighten vs. standard rendering.

2. HDR vs. PBR vs. standard rendering.

Comment

I suspect that the new batman might be using enlighten but is just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by frankit View Post
                  Hey fighter5347, you mentioned having completed a UE4 game before, have you got a YouTube clip?
                  If not, it would still be interesting to know the target platform and genre... Cheers!
                  Unfortunately it's still in development (we try to accomplish a AAA graphic), but here on the website you can see some pictures + get some information: http://www.throwntogether.jshubner.de/
                  Except of the inventory everything was done with blueprints (our main programmer is more familiar with C++ ^^)
                  It will be released for PC and it's a 3rd person/open world/RPG game.

Originally posted by tegleg View Post
                  im finding ue4 very frustrating to work with compared to udk. its just too crashy for my liking.
                  When it's always crashing it gets annoying. Then it's better when you go with UDK or Unity.
                  Luckily I'm nearly crashfree since the beta

Btw when does those crashes appear? -> when you use C++/blueprints/the landscape tool/....

Comment

crashes for me seem completely random and very frequent, 4.6.1 is by far the worst so far. probably 9/10 times i open the editor.
                    it can be anything from exiting or opening the editor, compiling a blueprint, changing a variable, opening a particle editor, playing with an animation blueprint... just about anything. if it crashes because of my c++ at least i can fix it pretty easily (unless ive just discovered an engine bug, which has happened)
                    fingers crossed for 4.7

Comment

Working...
                    X