Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do so many forums put down UDK in favour of Unity ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do so many forums put down UDK in favour of Unity ?

Hi folks, I have only made a few rooms and used kismet to activate doors ansd enjoyed the simple experience. But sionce I am new to anykind of game editors I also read a lot of whatr unity is about. The main err..complaint is that UDK is not an engine/editor that only one person can male a game,you need at least a small team ?

So maybe thats true...ive read many comments claiming the same thing, but what if like me you only want to make a game for yourself and have no desire to try and make a Gears of War type game with all the flash and complex programming. Wouldnt udk be just fine. I dont think there are are any free or buyable assets for UDK but thats ok.

So what do you think ?

Sincerly , Thumper.

UDK and Unity both have strengths and weaknesses. There are a lot of recent posts about which is better for which application, so search back.... Either engine can be used by just one person to make a solid looking game! Look at the Work in Progress thread for some examples... What kind of game do you want to make exactly?

Comment

UDK can be used to make games with only one person, I'm one of the cases

It all depends on how ambitious your project is. Also the furthest you are from making a shooter, the more work it will be if you use UDK.
      and while there's plenty of learning material for UDK, I understand other engines with more downloadable ready-to-use stuff (Unity, UE4) would probably get you there faster

Comment

About how many years have you been working with UDK and UE3 now Chosker?
        What would you say are your main strengths if you don't mind the question...

Comment

if you want to make a big game in a shortish time you will need a team no matter what engine you use.a full game is a lot of work.

but one person can do it if they are focused and believe in the project.

check out my game thread in my signature.

udk may not be regularly updated or supported anymore,but I still believe it is the best choice for lone developers.

Comment

Originally posted by frankit View Post
            About how many years have you been working with UDK and UE3 now Chosker?
            What would you say are your main strengths if you don't mind the question...
            no I don't mind the question
            I first started with UDK in August 2010 but the last reshaping of my project (reduction of scope due to lack of help) was in May 2012. Plus 1.5 years of using full UE3 at work.
            It's hard to say what are my main strengths because being in a solo project I have to do everything. I enjoy programming when I do it for my project (and my testers seem to like my fighting AI), and at work I mainly do shader work, asset integration and particle effects

Comment

Cheers Chosker. Wow, I always assumed you were a programmer, but your path now seems similar to Mougli's ...

How does your workplace view UE4? Are they using it actively today or do they think UE3 is still best for now?

Comment

When you have a little bit of programming experience you can easily create a own game without a team. With the UE4 it's even easier

Comment

Hey fighter5347, you mentioned having completed a UE4 game before, have you got a YouTube clip?
                  If not, it would still be interesting to know the target platform and genre... Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by fighter5347 View Post
                    With the UE4 it's even easier
                    im finding ue4 very frustrating to work with compared to udk. its just too crashy for my liking.

to the op,
                    it is possible to make a game by yourself with udk or unity. unity has a more gentle initial learning curve but you soon reach its limits.
                    udk is harder to start with but there is so much info around on just about every aspect that anything you could want to know is just a quick search away.

i would give ue4 a year or 2 to mature before you try it or you could be put off game development forever.

Comment

i would give ue4 a year or 2 to mature before you try it or you could be put off game development forever.
                      I exactly know what you mean tegleg, I think you would like to focus on games with vehicles and you are right there. UE4 is still under heavy development but it is usable. I worked three months on RTS game using C++ and 99% of all crashes were caused by my code (lol). I really like UE4 and after trying UE4 working with UDK is pain for me (I still like it and finishing some UDK projects, using it since 2009).

I think that usability of UE4 fully depends on scale and type of your projects. But for me, it is very usable and user friendly right now . Just: backup backup backup (local version control is great way).

I moved because of navigation and UnrealScript/C++. UDK does not have stable navigation system which user can tweak, I implemented some in UnrealScript but it is limited because of speed. UE4 offers me nicely implemented Recast without many bugs (see UDK Recast) and I can even tweak it in C++. Working on games was never so easy for me but I agree that UE4 is under heavy development and bugs happen.

Comment

@Tegleg:
                        Havok: Project-Anarchy...What were your conclusions In the end..?
                        Did you look at switching to any other engines?

Comment

a bit off topic,
                          project anarchy is great, only problem is that it looks like it might be in the same situation as udk (no longer supported)
                          so im holding off a bit with that until i know more about the engines future.
                          i looked at many engines, most of them are either hardcore code based or way too expensive.
                          and that leaves.... ue4

Comment

Thanks Tegleg. I would have PM'd you, but your forum mail account was full for a long time.. EDIT: May be fixed now...
                            If you leave UDK + UE4 and move on I don't think I'm alone in saying hope you keep in touch....

Comment

Originally posted by nonder View Post
                              I think that usability of UE4 fully depends on scale and type of your projects.
                              Any examples of projects that are ideally suited to UE4 in its current state?
                              (Space-Shock looks like its built in UDK or even Unity 4.x...?)

Comment

Working...
                              X