Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

newbie here...how long Epic Games will continue to support UDK ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

newbie here...how long Epic Games will continue to support UDK ?

Hi all,

newbie here.I tried Unreal Engine 4 but is running slow in my current laptop.
    But I will be investing in new rig maybe few months time or end of this year.
    So I downloaded and tried UDK instead.
    One thing I like about UDK is amount of tutorials/examples/resources availables, I was playing with UDK and watch couple of videos.
    I feel I can learn a lot about game asset pipeline via UDK.
    These knowledge can be transferred over to unreal engine 4.

However,
    I'm seriously considering making game in UDK but just worry epic games may announce in a year or two
    may cease update on UDK.
    Also, I'm serious in learning kismet but again for reason above, I'm worried Epic games will pull a plug off from UDK.
    Then I just wasted my time/resources in learning "dead" scripting language.

Is it too dangerous to start on UDK now?

thanks for your feedback

1. What style of game are you looking to make:
    .........College project, Freebie, Commercial FPS / RPG / RTS / MMO / Simulation / Educational etc....?

2. What's the target platform, PC Desktop / iOS phone / Tablet....?

3. How much time will you invest in it, Few months, a year or two, long-term?

-------------------

Epic has already stopped work on UDK except for addressing specific iOS issues. But as there's no activation or expiry, UDK won't necessarily disappear as easily as a specific version of Cryengine or Unity could, because UDK doesn't require pre-registration or license activation or login screening etc... However, I think few would start a project in UDK from scratch today, except for self-study maybe, home experimentation, college projects or work simulation etc, because the future is clearly UE4...

Or rather its UE5 as we're rapidly approaching that figure now with the 4.7 preview ... But the truth is UDK is very stable and the bugs are all known. Whereas UE4 is changing almost daily and its some time away from being stable and predictable. Your question has come up a heap of times in recent posts, so look down the General Discussion / General Development threads or do an advanced and look at some of the engine comparisons i.e. Unity vs. UDK, UE4 vs. UDK, Cryengine versus the others etc...

Last thing, you're right about the tutorials by the way, there are more of them for UDK, and they're probably more basic if you're just beginning...

Comment

Originally posted by frankit View Post
      1. What style of game are you looking to make:
      .........College project, Freebie, Commercial FPS / RPG / RTS / MMO / Simulation / Educational etc....?

2. What's the target platform, PC Desktop / iOS phone / Tablet....?

3. How much time will you invest in it, Few months, a year or two, long-term?

-------------------

Epic has already stopped work on UDK except for addressing specific iOS issues. But as there's no activation or expiry, UDK won't necessarily disappear like a Cryengine or Unity product can, because UDK doesn't require pre-registration or license activation or login screening... Overall however, I think few would start a project in UDK from scratch today, except for self-study maybe, home experimentation, college projects or work simulation, because the future is clearly UE4...

Or rather its UE5 as we're rapidly approaching that figure now with the 4.7 preview... But the truth is UDK is very stable and the bugs are all known. Whereas UE5 is changing almost daily and its some time away from being stable and predictable. Your question has come up a heap of times in recent posts, so look down the General Discussion / General Development threads or do an advanced and look at some of the engine comparisons i.e. Unity vs. UDK, UE4 vs. UDK, Cryengine versus the rest etc...

1) third peerson
      2) PC desktop
      3) i think 2 years - first year learning

"Epic has already stopped work on UDK except for addressing specific iOS issues."
      How about bugs, do epic games patch those if bugs found?

Comment

No, they will not fix anything that is PC Desktop related. But most bugs are already documented so that helps. Even with the new engine, you have to wait for fixes which still takes time.

Because of your time frame I think you should aim for the new engine. But you could start by learning the UDK editor and doing basic level editing along with Kismet, until you get the new rig. That would be fine, as long as you minimize time spent learning unrealscript. By then the new engine will be further along too...

Comment

No, they will not fix anything that is PC Desktop related, but most bugs are already documented so that helps. Even with the new engine, you have to wait for fixes which still takes time.

Because of your time frame I think you should aim for the new engine. But you could start by learning the UDK editor and doing basic level editing along with Kismet, until you get the new rig. That would be fine, as long as you minimize time spent learning unrealscript. By then the new engine will be further along too...
          oh well...I guess I will focus more on unreal engine 4 instead of UDK.
          Is a shame, since UDK has really lots of good tutorials built up over the years.
          I guess I will be focusing on getting new rig soon for unreal engine 4.

thanks frankit for your reply.

Comment

Or rather its UE5 as we're rapidly approaching that figure now with the 4.7 preview...
            it will be UE4.10, not UE5

kriptonite: unless you're making a really small game or have a really big and dedicated team, making a game with UDK (I mean a finished product, not a prototype) will take you more than 'a few months or end of this year' anyway.

as a developer that uses UDK/UE3 both as hobby and at work, I wouldn't recommend starting a new project using UDK at this point

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
              it will be UE4.10, not UE5
              Not UE5, Really?

With UE4 releases coming at us faster than Adobe Flash patches, how could I make such a cheap dig @ UE4.99.999.999.

Comment

Not UE5, Really?

With UE4 releases coming at us faster than Adobe Flash patches, how could I make such a cheap dig @ UE4.99.999.999.
                really.
                and if it ever comes to it, I guess after UE4.99 it would go into UE4.100

Comment

My guess is that they will continue updating for iOS for a while, but that's it. If it doesn't work on Windows 10 then they'll probably do an update for that.

Comment

Working...
                  X