Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone played around with Unreal Engine 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CobaltUDK View Post
    I don't like blueprints either. I think they are fine for small things, but if the thing is complex, becomes a labyrinth of boxes and lines unmanageable.

Spaghetti meets tangled cables...

The problem with Blueprint spaghetti started back in UDK. Take Epic's mini Jazz game demo, its an abomination! As with procedural programming languages & OO its best to do advance planning as its far too easy to hit the drag & drop button and create masses of tangled cables...

Kismet can be cleaned up though by using Actor Events, Named variables, Remote events, Sub-sequences etc. One hidden benefit of visual programming too, is that the eye responds faster to color and shape than textual references, so when you utilize color-coded comment boxes, it helps manage ideas versus pure coding. That said, would devs put the same thought into visual programming as they would with C++...

I have a computer science background and was well trained in C++. But I hardly ever use it. C++ is especially powerful when working with Quant libraries and building Trading Systems. But for Indie game design? Its overbearing. If you have a game idea you just want to jump in without having to fight the language's overarching syntax, memory management, class hierarchies and other distractions. If the game takes off, its worth the investment. But for prototyping, the heart of being an Indie, no way!

I think you're in a unique position CobaltUDK, because most modelers tend to shun structured programming. Its the left brain - right brain thing. Should you ever abandon the bank job and the mortgage for opportunities overseas, you'll probably be very successful at an AAA studio.

Overall, the good thing about having both options (visual and conventional coding) in Unreal, is that you can use whatever you're comfortable with. Cryengine has this option too, but the ****-poor documentation and the indifference of the forums is a real turn-off. You can use Unity instead, but you have to buy 3rd party plug-ins which may not match the quality of a built-in platform and the plug-in developer could vanish at any time.

Comment

Originally posted by CobaltUDK View Post
      But I saw that they had completely forgotten those who had experience or simply wanted to continue programming in the traditional way and not piling thousands of boxes connected by lines.

For example, things such making a modular pawn were extremely easy to make using blueprints, but found nothing to manage it from code (necessary for player customization, for example).

With that kind of stuff I ended up very very frustrated.

Maybe I wanted to do with EU4 the same thing as with UDK too fast, but some documentation (without blueprints) would have helped.

That happened long ago, and now probably there are more documentation for C ++ programmers. I don't know, because I left EU4 and I decided to finish my project in UDK, hoping to return after to EU4 and had more documentation available.

I really like what can be achieved with EU4, I give much importance to the graphical look and EU4 is incredible, but the new programming paradigm, the blueprints, kill me.
      I actually took the same route with UE4. for cleanness sake, performance, collaborative working/merging of code, and for the sake of teaching myself C++
      it was a frustrating experience at first, but things are better now that I have a better grasp of things.

for example these past few days I've been able to implement a component-centric approach for handling many things. with the newly introduced drag and drop functionality for components, this means I can turn any StaticMeshActor into a pickup Item/Weapon, or a looting Container, or an NPC, or all of them together, without extending a specific Actor class or using interfaces. this means I can do the same with a SkeletalMeshActor, or a ParticleEmitterActor, or a SpriteActor if I want.
      for me this is a huge step towards ending the nightmare of rigid class inheritance rules, and opening the doors to modularity and freedom (the way I've heard Unity works).
      this wasn't at all possible with UDK, and it's now possible with UE4 (and for now, only using C++)

anyway for me the bottom line is that while C++ has a steeper curve (specially since documentation is scarce), it doesn't mean that Blueprints are the new programming paradigm.
      also if you have enough experience with the engine, any blueprint tutorial that you find, you can just understand it as it is and write it as C++ code
      and 4.7 newly introduced the inclusion of the base C++ classes for debugging (before it was only the header files), which makes things easier to understand, and also show they still care about the C++ users

Comment

newly introduced drag and drop functionality for components
        that sounds interesting, whats it called exactly, any info about it?

ive been waiting for 4.7 before messing with any more with c++, just got used to some of the epic quirks and they dropped them in 4.6 so i thought its better to wait

Comment

Originally posted by tegleg View Post
          that sounds interesting, whats it called exactly, any info about it?
          info here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...view-2-13-2015
          component drag and drop is already part of 4.7 preview 7 (but BP script components arent there yet, unless I overlooked it which is quite likely)

ive been waiting for 4.7 before messing with any more with c++, just got used to some of the epic quirks and they dropped them in 4.6 so i thought its better to wait
          it's a bit annoying, all these changes the C++ side has suffered since the UE4 beta. but they seem to be less destructive with every change and not so hard to get used to

Comment

component drag and drop looks awesome, im waiting for 4.7 release version as im low on space so can only have 1 version at a a time.

edit:
            for anyone interested, heres a test ue4 project running in a browser (Chrome recommended)
            http://teglegrecords.free.fr/ue4/html5test.html

Comment

for anyone interested, heres a test ue4 project running in a browser (Chrome recommended)
              Interested, but it won't run in Firefox 35 Developer. Have older ver of Chrome, but its a pain to upgrade and reconfigure the FB / Google Ad blockers...

What was the sample project?

How well are html5 games sandboxed?

Comment

component drag and drop looks awesome, im waiting for 4.7 release version as im low on space so can only have 1 version at a a time.

edit:
                ran it with Firefox and it runs at 5 FPS stable. gave it to someone else who ran it with Chrome and he got 60 FPS stable

Comment

Epic recommend firefox nightly (64bit) but since just about nobody has it i said chrome. chrome or opera seems to run it fine, i get 1-5 fps in firefox 32bit.
                  seems like there are the same kind or restrictions as mobile, post processing is strange, particles (or transparency maybe) doesn't work properly sometimes ect.
                  the sample project is an early prototype of a mechanic im developing for the next Teg's Playground, a physics construction set.
                  i would love to hear from someone if they get a slowdown in framerate if they build something, doesn't seem to affect it for me but i max out at around 30fps cos of my rubbish laptop.

Comment

With the new shinny unreal 4 grants, udk developers would really feel orphan now, wouldn't they?

I wish epic didn't abandon udk "this much" sharply

Comment

Working...
                    X