Pathfinding in Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pathfinding in Space

I've read over the years that it can't be done, but then I see videos on youtube every now and then showing AI moving and attacking in 3D space.

Has anyone here got it working? I would assume it would be done with a 3D navmesh.

navmesh or volumepathnodes.I have personally used vpn's to great effect in many levels for helicopters but I think maybe navmesh would be better for a space environment.

Comment

I've going to have to strongly disagree with Gaz661 on this.... UDK's built-in navigation and latent move functions won't cut it for 3D space games.... VPN's are hit and miss, and navmeshes are wholly impractical because of pylon limits and lack of reliability with large volumes.

Instead, I suggest you research past posts by the AFF Universe guys and Hiredicespecter. They both use custom pathing / waypoint solutions. Its easier than you'd think. Add a zero-g gravity volume, place ships into physics flying and add velocities to propel the craft about along custom waypoints.

This could be as simple as direct line of sight or as the crow flies etc. The tricky part is dynamic obstacle avoidance, but as you're working in 3D space its far simpler than you'd expect, as long as you include continuous Tracing / Rigid Body Collision event traps etc....

Comment

frankit,I know you've done more in this particular field so I bow to your knowledge.

ive been looking at add velocity but im stuck at converting world space to local space.

Comment

My stuff is pretty basic, but I can auto-navigate ships across UDK's available space and don't have problems with Local or World vectors or rotations.. That said, work so far is Kismet based, and all the vector math and velocity ops are World by default. I'm not using 6DOF either, so handling quaternions etc isn't an issue. In UC, certain classes or functions expect / return World, while others expect / return Local, is this where you're getting stuck Gaz661?...

Comment

im not trying anything as complex as 6dof.i have recently added a zombie dog as an enemy in my game and I wanted to extend how far it jumps horizontally.jumpz is easy,the var is there,but after a week of solid searching I found no way of extending jump x.
            so when the pawn enters phys_falling im adding a small impulse through velocity.x.it works well but is always in world space.

Comment

Is the dog supposed to jump relative to something else, is that why you need / prefer local space?

Comment

no,just jump straight forward,in the direction he is running.

Comment

Working...
                X