Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to locate the Dominant Directional Light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to locate the Dominant Directional Light?

I did Google it, but all the results were about how to put lights and such, none about how to find the one you already have.
    Btw, is there a place where to see a list of all items in the scene, and select them that way too?

DPC

Pay attention to the Tabs right of the Content Browser window, there's one marked scene, click on that and every actor is listed. There's also Edit->Find Actors -> 'Dominant'... Then press 'Home' key or double-click the Properties button etc....

Comment

I clicked on this question because I was hoping it would answer something for me. I guess I may as well ask: How do you locate the dominant directional light affecting an actor's dynamic light environment? Or not even that... basically, I want to get a vector that says "this actor's dynamic light environment says the brightest light is in that direction."

Comment

Still looking for a solution to that one as well. A while back I wanted to know when the player was looking away from the Sun so I could perform a lighting update. This was to get around the well documented overhead of using Kismet & Matinee for dynamic lighting.

I thought I could take the rotation of the player's camera and then take the rotation of the DDL and back out a direction, but it didn't work. Basically, the actual location of the Sun on the Skydome (brightest lit area), didn't match any of the readings I was getting. In the end I attached an LOS Trigger to the player and it works although its a bit gimmicky.

The other thing I tried was doing a Trace between the player and an object located at the arc of the Skydome. But again this didn't identify the exact location of the Sun, even when the object was linked to the DDL. Sorry I don't have a working answer, but as the forums are pretty quiet I thought I'd share findings anyway in case it jolts ideas...

Comment

Thank you Frankit
          DPC

Comment

Working...
          X