Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help With Multiplayer LAN Setup

Hey all,

I made up a simple map, cooked it, and installed the package onto a laptop. When the local machine connects, this is what I see on the console.

NetComeGo: Open TheWorld 12/13/14 10:45:12 127.0.0.1
    Log: Command not recognized: SETSOUNDMODE Default
    ScriptLog: START MATCH

Right after the open command shows on the console, the UDK screen shows the "waiting for players..., etc" messages you would expect. And the the match starts. When I try connecting from the laptop, I see

NetComeGo: Open TheWorld 12/13/14 10:56:13 laptop.ip.address
    NetComeGo: Close TcpNetDriver_0 TcpipConnection_3 laptop.ip.address:54662 12/13/14 0 10:56:14

It connects and immediately closes. It does not join the game. Even if I try to connect it first, it does not show the "waiting for players..." stuff. I've tried loading the server with udk.exe server map_name, udk server map_name?listen=true?bIsLanMatch=true?dedicated=tr ue, I've tried open map_name?listen from the host machine game instance... I'm out of ideas. I've completely dropped the firewall on the local machine so no ports are being blocked. Also, to connect, I've tried udk.exe servier.ip.address and from the console open server.ip.address.

I've also verified that the gameID GIUD is the same in the .ini file

Anyone have any other ideas?
    Thanks for your help

I test UDk builds with hamachi with ppl over the world, never fails. So yeah use hamachi.

Comment

Originally posted by Neongho View Post
      I test UDk builds with hamachi with ppl over the world, never fails. So yeah use hamachi.
      That's a great idea if we are in different places. But I'm not even talking about something like that. These two computers are on the same local network.

Comment

What happens when you use the GUI i.e. one ListenServer, one client, on same box?
        Can you go back and detail the install process.... Its was a full install, right? You didn't amend it by copying over a re-edited cooked map or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by Neongho View Post
          Hey Neongho,

Any more details on hamachi?
          Pros / cons of using VPN's for testing UDK multiplayer....
          How does it compare regarding Firewall / Router setup..
          Any extra lag...?

Cheers for your reply!

Comment

That's a great idea if we are in different places. But I'm not even talking about something like that. These two computers are on the same local network.
            Well, more variables easier to solve problems.

From europe to aus, no lag, perfect collision, perfect animation sync. And you know australian servers....

Comment

Originally posted by frankit View Post
              What happens when you use the GUI i.e. one ListenServer, one client, on same box?
              Can you go back and detail the install process.... Its was a full install, right? You didn't amend it by copying over a re-edited cooked map or something like that?
              The local host always connects fine no matter what.

It was a standard UDK install on the host. I followed a tutorial I found about cooking and packaging that started out with having me add in some custom scripts and elements. I could never get it to cook correctly, so I stripped all of that out. Possible I borked something up there I suppose. But on the clients, it was a fresk install of the package I cooked up. I've tried it on two separate PCs with the same result.

I haven't tried installing the package on the same PC that generated it. Would that work OK?

Comment

You lost me.... Is the Host build absolutely identical to the Clients? (100% sure same EXE was used Yes / No)... Could there be a mismatch still? The GameUniqueID is absolutely key, but how about the other GUIDS, I forget if they're important now offhand....

I'm going to go ahead and recommend doing a fresh clean install as much of a pain as that sounds. Use the defaults and a demo level too this time around. Get that working and go forward, because there ain't enough clues here to make a reasonable call. But I feel you need to go back to basics with the packager. The Front End tool is pretty flaky, I treat it with fear, loathing and respect. When its not behaving I use a second or third machine for key builds, but I don't know if that's an option for you...

Also, I always install the package to the local PC that created it, because for me as many as 1-in-5 builds fail, with no error, but the level itself crashes. I've no idea why as I'm just using the defaults. But my level is large and this may complicate the workload, although it doesn't explain it. Cleaning out the Cooked PC folder is sometimes an important step too. But apart from that I can't help more, as I've no idea what other changes you made, or what the target Client machines look like i.e. are they identical Win7 boxes matching the Host etc...

Comment

@Frankit
                  Thanks for the advice. I'm new to the cooking/packaging process. I wasn't sure if installing the package on the same PC I do development on would show me anything - seeing as how everything I need to run the game is already there. I will give that a shot.

The PCs are both running Windows 7. I have another laptop running Windows 8 that has the same issue. Last night I started to feel like I probably buggered something else when I was trying to follow that tutorial on cooking. The level does some other weird stuff even though I've backed out all of the changes. So, I did a fresh install of UDK into a separate folder and will try to repackage from there. Now that I know the steps to cook and package I won't need to do all the thigns the tut told me to.

So, in your opinion, the GUI isn't as good as the CLI to cook with? You have better results from the command line?

Thanks again

Comment

The installer creates its own copy of everything so you will learn a lot doing a local install, as it won't rely on your default UDK set-up....

Overall, I think most devs use CLI. But I'm a big fan of the GUI because of the Listen Server. Its the closest thing to single-player as it gives you a feature rich game environment without having to worry about all the details of replication.

Prototyping is easier too because a Listen-Server acts like a master player / controller and can enable and disable cheats on each of the Clients for example, which is great for multiplayer testing. Because of that you can increase the speed of the game or ghost-fly around, which on complex open-world levels helps root out bugs faster.

The Listen-Server also highlights other problems ahead of time like replication issues versus functional bugs, and the GUI immediately clues you into packager related crashes i.e. crash on start-up vs. crash on level load etc...

Comment

Originally posted by frankit View Post
                      The installer creates its own copy of everything so you will learn a lot doing a local install, as it won't rely on your default UDK set-up....

The Listen-Server also highlights other problems ahead of time like replication issues versus functional bugs, and the GUI immediately clues you into packager related crashes i.e. crash on start-up vs. crash on level load etc...
                      Finally got some time to work on this again. This tip is a good one (for better or for worse as you will see).

WHat I've done is completely reinstall the UDK on my dev machine into a new folder and use that for the cooking. I wanted to make sure I started out with stock .ini files and not ones Ive previously edited. I then installed the package I cooked up locally and guess what? It can't connect to the server either now. SO it's definitely a package issue and not a local/other PC issue.

On the downside, I'm stumped again. Are there some settings I need to make sure are done within my level and in the ini files before I cook the game to make sure it is multiplayer? Or should it just work with the defaults?

Thanks again for all your help

Comment

The clean install still fails??? Wow! I suggest packaging up one of the stock demo levels: DM_Deck or Necropolis, just in case your own project settings are tied into this.

Its been a while since I ran into this problem, but I remember some saying disabling Steam helped, which was an INI setting change I think...

BTW: What's your game-type, UDK version, and is the EXE target Win32 or Win64?

Comment

Working...
                        X