Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UDK Light outside window brighter when inside. Could this be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDK Light outside window brighter when inside. Could this be done?

If any of you have seen gameplay of AC Unity, you'll know that when you look at a window when in an interior, the outside light is very bright and white, but when you get closer it goes back to normal, as if your eyes are adjusting to the light. Would there be any way to get this same effect in UDK? Here's what I'm trying to achieve, but remember, it goes back to normal as if you were looking out a window properly when you get closer, and the further you move away, the whiter it gets:

Thanks in advance for any help. If this has to be done with coding, could someone send me the code? I don't really know how to code, or at least just guide me through it and I could write it out or something

Don't recall any ready made built-in technique in UDK, but I can think of lots of approaches :-

1. Dominant Directional Light. Up the Brightness using Matinee or Modify Property & Toggle the light to force through the update.
    2. PostProcess volume: use two or three and leverage the blending duration to blend between them: super bright -> medium -> normal.
    3. Use additional toggleable point lights around the scene to bolster the light outside when viewing from inside buildings.
    4. Leverage Material effects, Change Materials / MI to boost the effect i.e. tweak Material Instance to white out the Skydome when indoors.

Timing / Control / Detection:
    How best to switchover from outdoors to indoors...? There is a real art to this and it also depends on your own goals and expectations, sophistication and practical aspects such as the number of enterable buildings in your level. For example you could do a trace between the Player and the top of the Skydome at various points to detect if the player is indoors i.e. under a roof. Then there's the issue of controlling the amount of the wash out and reducing it as the player walks towards the windows / doors and their eyes adjust accordingly... i.e. the greater the distance from the windows the more you need to crank up the whiteout and vice-versa. You can use Kismet or code to easily detect distances between the player and the windows or use a Trigger Volumes or Mover Events etc. Then there's the timing itself, how long to leave the whiteout active, you can think of it as a type of reverse fade.

There are lots of ways to approach this and a lot depends on how seamless you want the transition to be. Matinee can control the brightness of a light for starters and its the simplest method. You can look up tutorials for that on YouTube (search on light + matinee) or watch the Eat 3D / Buzz 3D tutorials also on YouTube (recommended). You can also modify the brightness property using Modify Property in Kismet and toggle the light on / off to force through the change.

But why not just experiment first in a practical way. Take one of the Demo maps like Necropolis. Enter one of the buildings and do an edit find to locate the Dominant Directional Light. Then ramp up the F4 brightness property to 10 or 20 or 200 to wash out the scene completely. To automate this, do a 'Get Distance' or Trace between players and window meshes or add Trigger Volumes or use Trigger-Touch or Mover events inside / outside buildings to progressively increase or lower the brightness level. Or do a Trace between the player and several points on the Skydome. If there's no obstruction then assume the Player is outside, otherwise conclude they're inside and ramp-up the white out...

Comment

Okay will try this, is there any way to get the image reflection to come in and out as well? I'm guessing with matinee or something I could do it? If so, could you suggest some ways to do that? I'm not very familiar with matinee tbh, so yeah

Comment

Okay, I did manage to get something pretty close to what I wanted, it doesn't look EXACTLY right, and there isn't a Image Reflection, but it does look very nice. I've made it so that when you look into a building from the outside it's really dark, and when you look into the light when inside, it's really bright. I also added DOF for extra effect and it looks really nice imo, an awesome addition. Here's some screenshots: Inside. Outside.

Comment

"there isn't a Image Reflection"...

Look into ImageReflectionSceneActor / SceneCaptureReflectActor...

Comment

I meant I haven't implemented a Image Reflection yet. Sorry for the confusion

Comment

Working...
            X