UDKCutsceneDilema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDKCutsceneDilema

Hi, to all the developers out there. I have been using UDK for a while now to showcase my environment pieces and as a result have some scenes put together in UDK. I am trying to produce a flythrough avi for my showreel and have been following a tutorial on youtube to put together and export a cutscene avi using Matinee and Kismet. Below is the setup I have put together in Kismet, and Matinee and when I go to the capture movie options in Matinee, the Cinematic Mode doesn't show up with the extra options like I have seen in youtube tutorials. I would like to use the capture movie option so I don't have to use UDK frontend in order compile a bunch of screenshots together. Is there something missing in the Matinee or Kismet setups below? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MovieCapture.html

Some of this Movie stuff is pretty old and may vary from build to build. For example Alt+R Shift +R doesn't work in my UDK version.
    Overall this is not a great system for capturing gameplay. There's no sound for starters and the generated AVi is huge and must be converted later using a 3rd party tool.
    All that said, if that's all you have then link two Console Command nodes into your schematic with startmoviecapture and stopmoviecapture and the process will be automated.

Comment

Originally posted by frankit View Post
      http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/MovieCapture.html

Some of this Movie stuff is pretty old and may vary from build to build. For example Alt+R Shift +R doesn't work in my UDK version.
      Overall this is not a great system for capturing gameplay. There's no sound for starters and the generated AVi is huge and must be converted later using a 3rd party tool.
      All that said, if that's all you have then link two Console Command nodes into your schematic with startmoviecapture and stopmoviecapture and the process will be automated.
      Sorry to bother you again but what are the console command nodes in Kismet and how would I go about placing the commands startmoviecapture and stopmoviecapture into my schematic using those nodes?

Comment

When you're in Kismet examine the Toolbar closely and click on the Lightbulb button (new sequence object) as this is an easier way to find the correct nodes. Then type in Console and you'll see Console-Command at the top of the list. Add that to your level's Kismet, add two of them in fact. Then in the first Console Command node's properties under commands paste in startmoviecapture, and in the second paste stopmoviecapture. Then just link these two nodes into your schematic above. Put Console-Command-startmoviecapture before the matinee and Console-Command-stopmoviecapture on the Finished output of the Matinee etc... Run it, then go look in this folder or whatever your UDK install folder is:

C:\Program Files\UDK\UDKGame\MovieCaptures

Comment

Originally posted by frankit View Post
          When you're in Kismet examine the Toolbar closely and click on the Lightbulb button (new sequence object) as this is an easier way to find the correct nodes. Then type in Console and you'll see Console-Command at the top of the list. Add that to your level's Kismet, add two of them in fact. Then in the first Console Command node's properties under commands paste in startmoviecapture, and in the second paste stopmoviecapture. Then just link these two nodes into your schematic above. Put Console-Command-startmoviecapture before the matinee and Console-Command-stopmoviecapture on the Finished output of the Matinee etc... Run it, then go look in this folder or whatever your UDK install folder is:

C:\Program Files\UDK\UDKGame\MovieCaptures
          Awesome thanks for the reply and the movie captures into an .avi but the weapon HUD and mini map HUD objects still appear during playback of the movie. Below I have pasted an image of my new Kismet sequence. I'm not certain but I believe it might have something to do with toggle Cinematic Mode node in Kismet and its target. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

No worries...

There's a couple of subtle gotchas with your kismet, namely order of events. First make the Kismet is idiot proof by using the 'Toggle Hud' node. But you need to link that or the Toggle Cinematic to a Player Spawned Event, or else postpone the start of the Matinee using a delay, because the player doesn't exist 'yet' in the context of Level Loaded / Beginning of Level.

Test that out first without a 'Cinematic Mode' node because right now its being activated after the Matinee as well, that's the second thing... Its best to put these nodes in series not in parallel as is above... i.e. the 'Out' of 'Toggle Cinematic' should trigger the Matinee... One last thing, from your Kismet above its not clear how the first Console Command will ever be executed...

Comment

Working...
            X