Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to render far away landscapes?

Heyo,

I'm looking to have some far away terrain in my maps- in this case, a mountain long in the distance that the player will never interact with. What I want is very similar to this:

The mountain off in the distance appears to be a 3d model, and is very good looking. What's the best way to make a similar landscape? Should I just make a terrain layer? Or perhaps a static mesh?

My biggest concern is that this object would have to be fairly massive- so how would I texture a mesh like this without using absolutely gigantic textures?

I'd bet it's not 3D but a very good looking skybox. Probably integrated with the rest of the level in a 3D app to ensure consistent lighting and exported into a skybox. Why would you need big textures ? As far as I see it takes up roughly half of the screen so depending on how close you are supposed to get to it and target max resolution, you'd be probably alright with 4k textures.

Comment

There are existing assets in the Content Browser (meshes) and terrains in the demos (landscapes) that are similar to the photo. I suggest taking a look at those first and see how you get on....

Comment

Static mesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I really cant tell from the photo(its too smaw)but as people said you coud do a simple 3d mesh ore a big texture+alpha,realy nice skybox ore something similar to camera mapping teqnique.Have a big poly plane that has a litle silhouette and texture it nice.I think ive seen something very similar in the city level in final fatnasy 13.Im not sure if this is a good example but when i plyed it it looked verry good and it was a mix of simple geometry+ alpha facing the player(look at the vegetation)http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/Final_Fan...III/ss-022.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X