Transitioning from UDK to UE4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transitioning from UDK to UE4

Q1: How easy is the transition when it comes to assets ? Is there any kind of converter or do I have to build maps/packages/materials from scratch ?

I'm not asking about code, the transition requirements are pretty obvious there.

Q2: Is there anything like UnCodeX for UE4 ?

Originally posted by davek View Post
    Q1: How easy is the transition when it comes to assets ? Is there any kind of converter or do I have to build maps/packages/materials from scratch ?
    there is no converter so unfortunately you will have to remake all maps/materials ...ect again in UE4, I'm not a coder so I'll let someone else answer Q2

Comment

Thanks smokey!

Comment

There's some misinformation and conflicting info regarding UE4. The packages and map / level file formats won't carry over. But you can still use UDK independent formats such as fbx, textures and sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by frankit View Post
          There seems to be some misinformation and conflicting info regarding UE4. The packages and map / level file formats won't carry over. But you can still use UDK independent formats such as fbx, textures and sounds.
          Someone actually doubted that ?
          It's a bit of a bummer there is no map importer for UE4. Can't imagine porting all my stuff over, this would take weeks, not to mention the inconsistencies between the 2 versions and the temptation to iterate...

Comment

I know, its frustrating. It would have been better for the community to have had advance notice of the launch date rather than UE4 being dumped on us by surprise. It all depends where you were with your UDK projects. I was mostly done with visuals and half-way through with game logic. So life's a b*tch!

Are your maps heavy on custom materials? If you're heavily weighted on meshes and have few custom materials then I think its possible for the core visuals to be ported across, that was my point before. But if you're the reverse then its a PITA. And of course, benchmarking, frame rates and lighting & rendering differences are still unknowns even when you're finished...

I think someone is quietly working away on a converter. But at a guess it could be a year away. So, is the best strategy to start a new project in UE4 meantime? Maybe.... But it would be nice to have an all-in-one migration guide from one of the top pros who've been working on UE4 for a year of more...

Comment

if its landscape you can export your heightmap and import into UE4

Comment

Originally posted by ffow View Post
                if its landscape you can export your heightmap and import into UE4
                Good to know ffow, thanks! Couple of questions:

1. Heightmaps include collision but no textures, yes?
                2. What file format is used for the export: *.obj / *.fbx?
                3. FBX can be used to transfer SM's... What other assets apart from that and landscape heightmaps can be transferred over to UE4?
                4. Does unreal text *t3d or any of the other export file-types help?

Comment

I think someone was making a tool that captures your UDK meshes locations to a .t3d format you can import to UE4

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                    I think someone was making a tool that captures your UDK meshes locations to a .t3d format you can import to UE4
                    That would be really great news for a lot of people DV. Any more info on that?
                    It seems achievable, its been done before, but the timeline, that's the tricky question....

Comment

It was a thread somewhere on the UE4 forums, I've done a similar thing in a different way to get mesh locations from 3ds Max to the UDK text format, but I wouldn't know how to make something that could convert the format from UDK to UE4.

Comment

Working...
                      X