Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about the future of UDK

So it's been a while from the release of Unreal Engine 4,
    and since the old site where download the UDK is no longer on line ( correct me if isn't right ) i have some questions.

With the release of UE4, we'll have updates for the old UDK or they are stopped at last july update ?

If yes, where we could download them ?

For those are not interested in the 20$ subscription, for the UE4 there are chances to keep using the UDK ?

If yes, the free and full licenses will have some changes ?

I read epic have released the full engine with the full source code, under a 20$ subscription. This mean we'll not have an UDK version of UE4.
    But in the faq of this forum i've read this :

" Will there be an Unreal Engine 4 UDK?
    Yes, there will be an Unreal Engine 4 UDK."

What this mean ? A new free UDK in the next future ?

I am a little bit confused

UDK is still online:
    www.udk.com

My guess is that UDK will only get essential updates, if any. Like if iOS8 is required for all apps then they might update it for that.
    You can keep using UDK. The licensing for UDK does not change.

That FAQ on the forum is not posted by Epic and was written before UE4 was released, the demo videos for UE4 had it listed as UDK so people assumed it would be released as a new UDK version. Instead, they just released it as Unreal Engine 4 and there aren't any plans to have a release like UDK.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      UDK is still online:
      www.udk.com

My guess is that UDK will only get essential updates, if any. Like if iOS8 is required for all apps then they might update it for that.
      You can keep using UDK. The licensing for UDK does not change.

That FAQ on the forum is not posted by Epic and was written before UE4 was released, the demo videos for UE4 had it listed as UDK so people assumed it would be released as a new UDK version. Instead, they just released it as Unreal Engine 4 and there aren't any plans to have a release like UDK.

Thank you for the answere,
      now i have no doubts about the future of UDK. Is a shame theat epic will not release an UDK based on UE4,
      but since nothing will change to the old one, i will happy to keep on using UDK.
      And oviously when i'll be more expert, i'll give a shot to the Unreal engine 4

Ps. I wrote futere instead of future in the thread title. Maybe some moderator could fix it ? Thank you in advance.

Comment

Its highly unlikely that they will remove UDK as a whole, due to the amount of money that they are currently earning from licenses and the general publicity overall. From what darthviper107 stated, they will most likely only be doing essential updates. Most of their work will be focusing on UE4.

Comment

it is quite worrying that epic seems to have completely abandoned udk and their soul focus is ue4.
          only a few weeks ago ue4 release date was pure speculation, even those in the beta testing program had no idea when it would be released.

so what happens now with all that hard work on your UDK game?
          try to buy a udk license now, go on try it, i bet you cant.

Comment

It's probably not that difficult to set up a UDK license by just contacting Epic licensing. And as they said, they'll be getting UDK back operational so that you won't have to do that.

The only concern for UDK is that there's still some bugs and it's a question whether they will ever get fixed. And as far as UE4 is concerned, it shouldn't change anything if you were already developing a project on UDK. Good developers can still do amazing things with UDK.

Comment

it is that difficult to set up a udk license right now, im on the 3rd week of trying, all i get so far is a link to the ue4 license.
              i know things got messed up when epic changed website but its been a while now.
              if they take this long to put up a page where you can buy the license, how long, if ever, is it going to take to fix those bugs..

i like udk and want to continue using it, ue4 is fine and all but its place is sometime in the future, regular folk simply dont have the hardware for it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by tegleg View Post
                i like udk and want to continue using it, ue4 is fine and all but its place is sometime in the future, regular folk simply dont have the hardware for it yet.
                That's an important understated point that hasn't been discussed much. What is the spec, not the minimum spec but the practical spec needed to A. develop in UE4? And B. for users to play games at reasonable frame rates?
                ...GPU card / Dedicated memory / Main Memory / OS version etc...

Comment

Originally posted by tegleg View Post
                  it is that difficult to set up a udk license right now, im on the 3rd week of trying, all i get so far is a link to the ue4 license.
                  i know things got messed up when epic changed website but its been a while now.
                  if they take this long to put up a page where you can buy the license, how long, if ever, is it going to take to fix those bugs..

Hi tegleg,

Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the inconvenience. If you still haven't been able to purchase a UDK commercial license, please email billing@unrealengine.com. To expedite the process, please include the following in your email:

- Full name
                  - Mailing address (Please include your country)
                  - E-mail address

Our billing department will be able to answer any questions you may have about the process. We appreciate your patience.

Sean

Comment

thank you Sean Palomino
                    i managed it in the end through this email billing@unrealengine.com

Comment

They now have the latest build of udk on the page of the new ue4 website https://www.unrealengine.com/products/udk/

Comment

I think is obvious that Epic is focusing their effort on the newborn UE4, but still hope they will not abbandon UDK and us.
                        Many choose UDK instead of other engines, first for the combo of free and professional result, large ammount of info and learning courses and interesting license terms.
                        Many of us start using UDK learning,doing test and releasing free games, until we're ready for doing something different 'n get a commercial license.

So i believe that we're no different from UE4 users... abbandon us and UDK ( except for the important monthly updates ) is a bad choice.
                        Feel free of express yourselves.

Comment

Just because there's UE4 doesn't mean it would be bad as a beginner to start with UDK first right? set aside the $20 being affordable or not.
                          (as i am more-or-less a beginner is why i ask, I've enjoyed tinkering with UDK, don't want to see it ever die off.)

Comment

UDK is free and the skills you learn will transfer to UE4 even if the files won't

Comment

Is anyone is working on a migration guide from UDK to UE4? i.e. For fast tracking skills with info on porting?
                              We know Blueprint and C++ are a game changer, as is the core file format. But what about the rest?

Comment

Working...
                              X