No announcement yet.

Best Laptop for UDK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm already running a high spec GTX780m machine - it is not really adequate for running UE4, only functionally capable. Whilst it gets reasonable framerates in many of the samples (30+ fps), it's just not good enough if you're developing an actual game - it also gets crippled when using two displays. By comparison, my work desktop machines have either a standard GTX780 or a Titan, and will easily run the same content with more than double that framerate and doesn't blink when using multiple displays. I would consider that hardware appropriate, but mobile hardware simply isn't quite there yet.

But don't take it from me - take a look at the benchmarks and the stats:
    http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-...eForce-GTX-780

Comment

I notice that link only compares a single GTX 780M to a desktop version and whilst I agree with you that mobile hardware isn't quite there yet, two GTX 780M's using SLI isn't really comparable to a desktop GTX 780, its actually more comparable to a Titan, in fact in some ways surpasses it.

here is a pic to show what I mean.

Click image for larger version

Name:	780m vs titan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	3250152

the numbers on the right are the titan

Comment

If your looking to get serious with UDK, get a PC if you can, especially for UE4. I have a laptop, but I'd get a PC if I had the space and money right now, haha. Just to give you an idea about my laptop, it's GPU isn't very powerful, and by the looks of things, I'm still going to be using it for UE4, if it can cope. Here are the specs:

Intel i7 2630QM Quad Core @2.00Ghz
        8GB RAM
        Geforce GT 540M 2GB (DX 11)

I was once told that the GPU in this thing is slightly more powerful than an Xbox 360's. It's DX11 supported but puts a bottleneck on the system in most cases. It will be nice to see how it handles UE4... :P

If you're just buying the laptop mainly just for UDK, you could just wait until the Unreal Engine 4 is out and make the decision based upon Epic's recommended specs for content development on UE4. However, nobody know when it's being released so, it's a bit of a risk.

Comment

+1 Ambershee

A laptop would never be my first choice or recommendation for any 3D or GameDev work.
          You typically pay more money for less power in order to save size and energy.
          You are also paying for a small display that is not well equipped for running power apps.
          My main two development computers are running dual: Dell 30" 2560x1600 landscape + Dell 20" 1680x1050 portrait, and triple: three Samsung 24" 1920x1080 portrait, 1920x1200 landscape, 1920x1080 portrait.

With a desktop, not only do you get a more expandable platform (more memory slots, more expansion slots, more drive bays).
          But you also have the ability to easily upgrade components.
          If your video card no longer performs well with newer software, swap it out for a newer faster model.
          If you need drive space, add drives.
          With a laptop: no choice but to throw it away and buy a new model.

If I was really worried about size and had no choice but to get something small, I would get a Mini-ITX platform (preferably RoG) before ever getting a laptop.
          There are also a lot of really nice Mini-ITX cases now. One of my servers is a Mini-ITX as is my CCTV system.

Comment

Thank you all for the insightful responses. I understand where you are coming from suggesting a desktop instead, but the portability of it is very important to me. I should specify that I primarily work in Cascade. I won't be using this to make a full fledged game.

It's pretty concerning that you say the best GPU on the market isn't quite good enough for UE4

Comment

Originally posted by mslanchik View Post
              Thank you all for the insightful responses. I understand where you are coming from suggesting a desktop instead, but the portability of it is very important to me. I should specify that I primarily work in Cascade. I won't be using this to make a full fledged game.

It's pretty concerning that you say the best GPU on the market isn't quite good enough for UE4
              UE4, as every next-gen engine, is under construction already, and many of the features of this engines are for the future. Anyway, there you have your responses. Solved.

Thank you too.

Comment

Originally posted by mslanchik View Post
                I should specify that I primarily work in Cascade. I won't be using this to make a full fledged game.
                If that's the case, a laptop should be fine. Have a good time with UDK! =D

Comment

Originally posted by Thomasmul10 View Post
                  If that's the case, a laptop should be fine. Have a good time with UDK! =D
                  Thanks man. So far, it's been a hell of a ride XD

Comment

Working...
                  X