Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Laptop for UDK

Hello everyone,

I was hoping that some of you could help me out in deciding a high-performance, future-proof (UE4) laptop.

Thank you!

You'll just need the best gaming laptop you can get with as much RAM as possible. And preferably Nvidia gpu.

Comment

I'm considering a

MacBook Pro
      15-inch: 2.3GHz
      with Retina display

running UDK through bootcamp. Is this a good or bad idea?

Comment

Also, you'll need a Starbucks near

P.S. MSI, Asus or Alienware.

Comment

Originally posted by ashurablood View Post
          Also, you'll need a Starbucks near

P.S. MSI, Asus or Alienware.
          lol, yes they're pretty trendy huh? I'm not concerned with the status symbol aspect of it, I just want the best laptop possible.

Comment

If you're looking for the best gaming laptop then it would be stupid to spend money on a Macbook

If you want something slim, MSI has a pretty good 17" laptop that's very thin with a pretty good graphics card for about the same price as a Macbook. If you don't care about size or weight you can get an even better performing laptop.

Comment

No it's not for gaming. I want something that would literally be the best possible laptop on earth for using UDK. I also use stuff like Maya and Photoshop, so ideally it would be good for those too.

Comment

UDK is gaming, so you'd want a gaming laptop, Macbook definitely isn't it, when you get a macbook you're paying for the small size, the aluminum casing, and the name. So if you want it to be more powerful and capable, look into Windows gaming laptops.

Comment

Alienware.....

Comment

That makes sense now that you put it that way darthviper. Thank you for the info. I've always heard bad things about alienware.

Comment

i prefer something with good nvidia gpu and alienware is what i have, people do say bad things about it,but you have to try it yourself before looking at what people say. Ive had it for a year now and Ive had no type of problems with it and it runs UDK like sliding on butter. Alienware X51

Comment

I use a:

-Intel i7
                        -geforce gtx 660m
                        -4 gb ram
                        -windows7

-around 800€

and it runs fine with the UDK and the UE4 -> but of course with the UE4 my laptop is at his limit (it lags a little bit

Comment

I would not use a laptop for UE4, plain and simple. I have a machine with 24GB memory and a GTX780m myself and it quite simply isn't good enough - the GPU is the bottleneck, but it's also the best on the market.

Comment

That's true too. I have MSI GE60 2OE (GTX765M 2GB i7 4700mq) and working with UE4 my average is 20-30 fps. For me it's ok, because I don't need more FPS and I always like to work whenever and wherever I want to, but like Ambershee says, is not the most-economic option.

Also you need to see for what you want UDK. It's not the same work with Cinematics or Level Design (really strong consumption) rather than FX particles or blueprint.

The fun comes when you try to build some big map in a laptop...

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                              I would not use a laptop for UE4, plain and simple.
                              I use a laptop and it runs both engines fine, although my graphics card could do with being a little newer, its slightly outdated

the best laptop specs I have seen so far are..

processor: haswell 4th gen I7 (cant remember the number off the top of my head but its the best one out)
                              memory: 32GB 1600MHZ
                              graphics: 2X GT780M (SLI)
                              hard drive: 1X SSD and up to 2 normal hard drives as well
                              screen: 17.3 inch 3D

although it cost around £3000-£3500 depending on the extras, it not only beats any MSI or Alienware laptop but could run UE4 or any game at highest settings

Comment

Working...
                              X