What is the green texture for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the green texture for?

Guys, in UDK's rocket launcher's material there is a green texture amongst others, and I simply cannot understand why it is there for. Could anybody please explain meaning of it being there to me?
    Thank you.

Screenshot of the part of the nodes:

http://www.mediafire.com/?21nfd90mwvf9m43

If you have several black and white images you don't need to use a separate texture for each one, you can combine them into a single image by putting each image into a different color channel. So for things like an alpha map or a specular map, or an emissive texture, you can put one image into each of the color slots (RGB) and save memory. In the case of the first texture in your screenshot it's using the red channel as a specular map. The second texture is a capture texture that's being used to create real-time reflections.

Comment

Hi, thank you for your reply. I'm curious about the second texture though. You say that it is a capture texture that's being used to create real-time reflections, yet it is the same texture as the first one, and how does it do real time reflections? Would you mind to elaborate?
      Thanks.

Comment

It doesn't look like the same texture--with render to texture it shows up as green until the game starts and it renders something, here's more info about using that:
        http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/RenderToTexture.html

If it's not render to texture, then it's just using a texture map as a reflection, you can see the reflection node that's being plugged in

Comment

Hi, I can confirm that this is definitely the same texture, so having know that for sure, what is the purpose of it? Is it as you say in your last statement used as a reflection? If so, what does it reflect?
          Thanks?

Comment

Right-click on that Multiply node and "Preview Node on Mesh," and you'll see what it looks like. It is still being used as a reflection map.

Comment

Hi Jacky, does this mean that it simply reflects what's on the texture?

Comment

Yes. In this case it shows on the given value of the Lerp mask and it gives a fake reflection effect to the diffuse texture.

Comment

Working...
                X