UDK availability next year question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDK availability next year question

Now I know you guys don't know much but I don't think Epic will answer this so I'm asking you.
    My game has been postponed several times unfortunately but will be ready next April 2014.
    Do you think UE3 (UDK) will still be available by then.
    I know it might sound like a silly question but it is important because it would mean a lot of wasted effort.
    My fear is that some free version of UE4 could be released next year and it might kill the possibility to release games made with the current engine.
    Again, sorry if this sounds silly, but I had to say it since it worried me a bit.

I think the chance of them getting rid of the UE3 version of UDK is 0 for quite some time.

Comment

Well that's good to hear. I hope you're right.

Comment

I don't think they will be doing that, there would just be a version of the Unreal 4 UDK.

Comment

UE3 is still very feature packed, especially now since its been through an entire cycle from DX9->11. I wouldnt be surprised if some people still opt for it for quite some time, UE2 still saw alot of usage even after the first UE3 games hit. It really depends on what youre looking to do, what features you really need

Comment

In my opinion, for those who have projects in mind, you will want to choose the best technological advance in case UE/UDK4, but for those who want to create a project and still studying it the only alternative is to have two models UE/UDK3 and 4 . I am awaiting a new update of the two generations. To me any one is welcome! It would be very hypocritical of me if I said I'm not anxious to test the version 4. I ended up buying a new PC due to DX11 and I intend it to maximum advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
              UE3 is still very feature packed, especially now since its been through an entire cycle from DX9->11.
              if only DX11 worked as expected...

but yeah I very much doubt they will delete all trace of UE3. even if they decide to release a UE4-powered UDK, the UE3 version will most likely be still available. I'd at least expect a new release where they include the last QA improvements and call it "final" instead of "beta"

Comment

Plenty of life in the old dog yet. A tool is only as good as the talent behind it, as this thread on Polycount demonstrates using the current UDK: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127659

Comment

Thanks for all your answers!

Comment

Working...
                  X