Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is internet connection necessary to work on UDK or Unreal Engine 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Originally posted by Gr8Gr3yM View Post
    some kind of intranet for easier communications with disabled internet preventing leaks.
    This is a waste of time. If you can't trust your staff, there's no point hiring them in the first place. Let's not also forget that the Internet is an invaluable source of information, especially when it comes to techniques in programming and asset production.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes, its amazing what some of the competitors are doing to choke the life out of their users. Back to the topic and what a minefield it is.... What are your goals? Are you more worried about protecting your IP or about security threats i.e. CriptoLocker? With the prevalence and pervasiveness of BYOD, its getting a whole lot harder to lock down PCs and the network, especially with user expectation of the availability of BYOD and USB.

If you perceive the threat as internal i.e. theft of IP by rogue co-worker, then the story of E Snowden illustrates just how difficult to impossible it is if a person is determined enough... Sure you can use wired PC's with no wireless networking modules and lock down using Mac Address lists with USB ports disabled for general security. But you can still can't stop employees videoing precious game sequences and uploading them to the net using their phones etc...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I asked this because games and other softwares have really weird DRMs just for the sake of having them.

And also, i was thinking of short and long term plans for creating a game company, and one of the long term is clearly having some kind of intranet for easier communications with disabled internet preventing leaks.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Engine comparisons are not allowed.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the other two before me.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    cube2222, spoof....
    Noted, I corrected the post...

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Engine comparisons are forbidden.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see Spoof's post.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Comparing other engines is not allowed in the forums.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Just to add to what was said already, no net connection is necessary but there is a distributed light building app called Swarm Agent that will launch and attempt to use the net when you build lighting. But its optional and you can still do all the lighting locally, it just takes longer.. Check your firewall settings if you want to block this!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ambershee View Post
    Why would it be!?
    Because it uploads a hardware survey . But that's only for statistics.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    no, an internet connection is not necessary to use UDK.

--EDIT--

you beat me to it

Leave a comment:

• replied
    No.

Why would it be!?

Leave a comment:

• Is internet connection necessary to work on UDK or Unreal Engine 3?

Working...
X