Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got UNREAL ENGINE 4!!. Updated with video. See first post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gestalt View Post
    I'm not so sure about it needing crazy hardware. Crassin et al put out the first demonstrations with real-time framerates about two and a half years ago and later described getting 120 fps on a GTX 660. Epic has also shown the tech in action with UE4 about a year and a half ago, I believe on a GTX 680, and it seemed to run pretty well. It's also worth noting that the tech itself is pretty scalable.
    You have to understand the lack of real dynamics in the demonstrations, the fact that while you can float around in a small indoor area with a canned animation and some dynamic particles/lights it really doesnt represent a game. Granted not every game is GTA5 or BF4 but if someone were wanting to make larger environment SVOGI fails pretty hard, it consumes resources required for things like AI, Physics, and general gameplay code.

Comment

I'm a little disappointed if it's true SVOGI is no longer in the picture. Lightmapping has always been a pain and isn't very good for 'physically based' materials.
      I'm preparing a new video and in that i'll be showing the alternative way (what darthviper107 said) for dynamic GI. I wont show the tools but just the result.

Comment

Looks really cool but why do some people get access and others not? Who did you have to contact about it, I would like to test out UE4 to get up to speed using it for future projects...

Comment

I'm a little disappointed if it's true SVOGI is no longer in the picture. Lightmapping has always been a pain and isn't very good for 'physically based' materials.
          Speaking of which I'm not so sure what 'physically based materials' refers to if there isn't some type of tracing. Will we be able to define our own bsdf's or is it more that energy conservation will be considered when you use specular/gloss.
          I can understand the appeal of deferred rendering, but imho it's better to have one well rendered sun lamp using tracing than a thousand point lights pasted on top of a render.

Either way I'm looking forward to the tool and workflow improvements.
          +1

10charlimit

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfMalta View Post
            Looks really cool but why do some people get access and others not? Who did you have to contact about it, I would like to test out UE4 to get up to speed using it for future projects...
            At no point did the process involve contacting Epic.

On another note, I think it's time for people who have engine access to begin thinking before they speak, as indicated by certain posts in this and the other threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
              At no point did the process involve contacting Epic.

On another note, I think it's time for people who have engine access to begin thinking before they speak, as indicated by certain posts in this and the other threads.
              This, very much.

Comment

Originally posted by merc-ai View Post
                This, very much.
                I have access to Unreal Engine 4!

Comment

good point but luckily I don't have to think about what I say as I decided not to say anything about UE4 in any way shape or form, its a lot simpler

Comment

Originally posted by smokey13 View Post
                    good point but luckily I don't have to think about what I say as I decided not to say anything about UE4 in any way shape or form, its a lot simpler
                    You just did :x

Comment

cant argue with that

Comment

You just did :x

haha lols haha

Comment

so will the documentation and such be ready for the release... unless of course they are just dangling fruit in front of us... there is a lot to be proud and excited of/for, and i can understand that... but as @Henrik stated, think before you post please

Comment

Great video update, and thanks for detailed commentary! Finally some kinda-dynamic GI (and yes, I don't care if it's actually fake, it looks good, it simulates GI, and it's real-time, WHO-HOO!), but the quality of dynamic shadows is just... meh... Why is that? And the penumbra size is constant, I guess WB Games had just patented (sry my English, I don't know if such a word exists) both non-constant-size techs: Multi-View and Percentage Closer Soft Shadows (MVSS and PCSS, to be precise), because only Batman games use it. Cheers! UE4 rocks!
                            UPD: Googled about MVSS, Bioshock Infinite also has MVSS as a DX11-only feature.

Comment

I absolutely love how Epic treats their community. I love seeing that very talented members of this community are getting access to UE4 and are already creating fantastic assets and scenes. Very exciting! Look forward to seeing more from everyone!

Comment

Working...
                              X