Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I got UNREAL ENGINE 4!!. Updated with video. See first post.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got UNREAL ENGINE 4!!. Updated with video. See first post.

THATS RIGHT FOLKS!! I got the chance to try out the awesome Unreal Engine 4. First thing i gotta say is, it’s obviously much much better than current UDK we use. Unreal Engine 4 uses deferred shading instead of forward rendering that is used in UDK so the rendering is now much more beautiful than UDK. Unreal Engine 4 supports advanced Direct-X 11 features such as HDR reflections, physically based materials, IES lighting and many more. UnrealScript has been completely removed and we now have C++ support. But dont worry because if you know UnrealScript then it wont be much of a problem migrating to C++ (Although you must keep pointers in your mind while programming).

Unreal Engine 4 is incredibly powerful and faster when dealing with Dynamic Lights. If you have used UDK then i dont have to tell what happens when you throw hundreds of dynamic lights. But in UE4 (since it is deferred shading) it can handle “thousands” of dynamic lights perfectly.

But i haven’t yet talked about the two things i really liked in Unreal Engine 4. They are “Asynchronous Light Building” and “Particles“.

Asynchronous Light Building:
    To put simply, light building now works in the background and while the engine is doing the light building, you can keep on playing inside the editor. Once it is finished engine will ask if you want to keep it or discard. If you choose to apply, then static lighting is applied. If you are wondering if SVOGI (realtime GI) is included then sorry. Unreal Engine 4 still uses Lightmass system. But before you get that frowny face let me say that even if SVOGI is not included, there are other ways to simulate that effect.

Particles:
    Particles have been greatly improved in Unreal Engine 4. We now have high-density GPU particles with collision and dynamic particle lights. Dynamic Particle Lights are a great improvement and can add a lot to your scene. For example you can have the gun muzzle flash cast particle lights which gives a far more realistic look than what we see in UDK.

More info and more screenshots on my blog: http://unrealxeditor.wordpress.com/

Video: Unreal Engine 4 Blueprints + Lights + Particles

Two wallpapers i made. Click for full size.

[SHOT]http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1702/r8w4.jpg[/SHOT]

[SHOT]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/8290/ng47.jpg[/SHOT]

Very cool ryanjon2040! How did you go about getting your hands on UE4? cheers

Comment

Nice work, ryanjon2040! Thanks for sharing your progress here. Glad you're getting along so well with UE4.

Comment

Nice man! So i'm a bite curious too about how do you've got UE4.

Comment

Since he posted this in 2 places I'll repeat myself here for those asking:

A few of us community members received licenses. As we're under NDA, we are unable to tell you the exact conditions of why or how or respond to any questions you might have about the engine which aren't already public. Nevertheless, you'll be seeing some more "UE4 reveals" in the days to come.

Comment

Particles casting light is probably still the coolest thing I have ever used. Better than spawning a light in code for an explosion or gun fire.

I hope to post some cool things here soon as well.

Comment

@ryanjon Very cool stuff

Thank you epic games for UE4, the engine ist really good

Comment

Originally posted by TheAgent View Post
                Particles casting light is probably still the coolest thing I have ever used. Better than spawning a light in code for an explosion or gun fire.
                It's something that should have been in UE3, and it boggles my mind that it wasn't. Even UT3 added lights to projects and stuff via code...

Comment

I'm so glad that UE4 uses exclusively C++. C++ is such beautiful and powerful language. I can only hope that I will be able to use UE4 soon. For now stuck with unrealscript (which I have to admit is pleasant enough).

Comment

so the veil of darkness has been lifted and we can finally step forth from the shadows into the light.

too much?

@ryanjon, that was subtle

Comment

Originally posted by frankit View Post
                      Very cool ryanjon2040! How did you go about getting your hands on UE4? cheers
                      Originally posted by Magnus Noronha View Post
                      Nice man! So i'm a bite curious too about how do you've got UE4.
                      All i can say is Epic gave me access to it.

Originally posted by crowl View Post
                      Nice work, ryanjon2040! Thanks for sharing your progress here. Glad you're getting along so well with UE4.
                      Thank you very much crowl. Its really great to hear from an Epic guy! . And i really really really enjoy using UE4!!

Originally posted by fighter5347 View Post
                      @ryanjon Very cool stuff
                      Originally posted by smokey13 View Post
                      @ryanjon, that was subtle
                      Thank you very much guys.

Originally posted by fighter5347 View Post
                      Thank you epic games for UE4, the engine ist really good
                      Trust me...UE4 is far far more better than UDK. You can save a lot of time and lot of cool features are available.

Originally posted by smallB View Post
                      I'm so glad that UE4 uses exclusively C++. C++ is such beautiful and powerful language. I can only hope that I will be able to use UE4 soon. For now stuck with unrealscript (which I have to admit is pleasant enough).
                      I havent messed with C++ yet (only a very few bits). Just made some basic classes and other stuffs but i dropped it because everything i needed i could do it using Blueprints.

Comment

Hey ryanjon2040 first of all nice shots!

Second, I have a question regarding the programming part of UE4, do you think that it will need a special editor like yours Unreal X-Editor or Visual Studio will be enough for coding?

Comment

Visual Studio is what most studios use, so it's a good assumption that you'll be just fine with it

Comment

Originally posted by Luladjiev View Post
                            Hey ryanjon2040 first of all nice shots!

Second, I have a question regarding the programming part of UE4, do you think that it will need a special editor like yours Unreal X-Editor or Visual Studio will be enough for coding?
                            Hi Luladjiev..Thanks . Please check my blog too for more screenshots: http://unrealxeditor.wordpress.com/

For programming you will need Visual Studio as ambershee said. And Unreal X-Editor will never make it to UE4 because theres no need for it at all.

Comment

Awesome, thank you guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X