Naming animation in max file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naming animation in max file

Guys, is there a way to name animations in a max file? Like for example arm waves, fist closed etc? How do you do it (dealing with multiple animations) if that's not possible?
    Thank you.

if your using max to export anims via fbx then its a one anim per file

Comment

Hi,
      Yes, I know about that, but surely you can create more than one animation in .max file? The point is that I am asking how people deal with having one .max file and multiple animations in it.

Comment

To have multiple animations in one max file, you just need to make sure whatever animation you are exporting are a part of the timeline, and that animation alone.

(By the way, I have noticed all of your threads are in the general discussion no matter the topic. You may want to use the proper sub-sections of the forum to get answers from people who are more relevant to subject)

Comment

you just need to make sure whatever animation you are exporting are a part of the timeline, and that animation alone. - what do you mean by this, could you elaborate?

Comment

One way I know how to keep track of multiple animations in the time line is to use Tags. Just left of the Set Keys button it says Add Time Tag. You slide the time slider to where you want to tag and then add a new tag. If you have one or more tags and you click on the Add Time Tag button, you'll get your tags in there and you can jump to any one.

Personally, I would keep animations in separate files, just in my opinion, it's much easier to deal with.

Comment

@obihb thanks, that exactly what I was asking for.
              Regards

Comment

Originally posted by smallB View Post
                you just need to make sure whatever animation you are exporting are a part of the timeline, and that animation alone. - what do you mean by this, could you elaborate?
                You can move the displayed timeline. Set it to the timeframe of the animation you wish to export, then you will export that animation only. That way you can have as many animations as you want in one file, yet still be able to export normally.

While tags will seperate the animations for organization purposes, it won't spilt the animations for export.

Comment

@Graylord
                  Thanks, will defo try it.
                  Regards

Comment

Sorry, I just wanted to clarify that my info about tags was not intended to be a way around exporting a list of animations from a single file. I just suggested it as a way to keep track of a time line filled with various animations. As the question was how to name animations in a max file.

Graylord did set it straight but I just want to make sure it's understood as simply a tagging system and not a naming system for export purposes.

I think short of having a script that can handle things for you, there's no default way in Max as a short cut for handling bulk exporting or anything like that by keeping a single file containing all animations.

Comment

Originally posted by smallB View Post
                      Guys, is there a way to name animations in a max file? Like for example arm waves, fist closed etc? How do you do it (dealing with multiple animations) if that's not possible?
                      Thank you.

Use Motionbuilder and you could have 700 anims with different names if you wanted too!

Comment

Working...
                      X