Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipeline of importing skeletal meshes (with animations) into UDK

Hi guys,
    So I've created my first level with static meshes on it and with proper lighting, but I'm kinda lost on what next? How do I go about and bring my character's meshes (with animations) into udk, and actually use those animations? Like for example I want the enemy made by me to play certain animations at certain point, while shooting for example? This is what I think how it should be done, but of course I'd like to get some response with corrections, tips, etc:
    1. Create a mesh, unwrap it, make material slots
    2. Rig it (in Max)
    3. Skin it
    4. Record animations
    5. Export the character and animations into fbx file(s) - here the process isn't really clear, do I export into one file or each animation into separate file?
    6. Import it into udk - again - will it be only one file and just import it or is there more to it?
    7. How to make the mesh actually animate (play those animations) inside my game?

Thanks
    smallB

Make sure the rig conforms to the standard: a single root bone, and all bones connected.

Export each animation as a separate FBX.

In UDK create an AnimSet for your mesh and add each animation to it. Next create an AnimTree, and begin constructing an animation network that will drive the mesh. This is no simple feat, read the docs and inspect the existing anim trees that come with UDK. There are many, many ways to drive the network including velocity, aim, physics, inverse kinematics, skel controllers, script, etc.

You'll need to assign the tree and sets to your skeletal mesh in the default properties of your pawn.

Comment

Thanks, will check those links tomorrow.
      Regards
      smallB

Comment

Working...
      X