Looking For UDK Lightmap Tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking For UDK Lightmap Tutorial

I am looking for commercial and non-commercial UV mapping tutorials for both general texturing and lightmapping for UDK.
    I know several different threads may already exists about same topic but every single year new tutorials come up and well, stuff change.
    Regards...

Take a look at this website here: http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/ca...-lightmaps.php

Comment

Originally posted by fighter5347 View Post
      Thank you fighter.
      I have already looked.
      It's a great guide.
      However it does not teach to create an UV map from scratch for complete beginners.

Comment

That's not unique to lightmaps though, just look for general UVMapping guides and you should find plenty.

Comment

Creating a lightmap UV layout is the same for every software, make sure no faces overlap and use the UV space as much as you can. However creating a second UV channel process is different for every software, but again, there are plenty of tutorials for that for Max, Maya and Blender.

Comment

I am trying to learn UV's in 3ds Max and I am having a hard time to learn logic of lightmap UV's.
            For instance, are location and rotation of different UV parts important in 0 to 1 UV space ?
            Or could I make UV parts with gap ? (I mean selecting two different sides that has a gap between them and flatten it)

Is it recommended to use external software like headus UVLayout or something ?
            If yes which one do you recommend ?
            Has Maya or 3ds Max advantage over UV ?

Thanks for all help and answers by the way.

Comment

can someone explain how to make automatic unwrapping in 3ds max ?
              i know it is not an optimal solution and it increases vertices dramatically but at least shadows and lighting must be correct with that way, right ?

Comment

This is hopeless.
                Pure hopeless.
                F*cking hopeless.
                I cant even make lightmap uv of simplest shape.

Second UV channel: Done.
                Resolution: 256
                Padding: Done
                Done by hand, not automatic.

So if anyone could really help me and find a really good tutorial from strach, i would be really really appeciate it so much.
                Thanks and regards...

Comment

With hard cornered shapes like this it is better to split faces as much as you can to prevent bleeding. Like, you'll get a better result if you split those thin, inner faces and keep the rest as they are. And sometimes resolution may not be enough depending on the complexity and size of your mesh. I haven't seen any detailed tutorial on this really, it's all trial and error, and forum support.

Comment

I have found the solution.
                    I am writing it here in case if any noobs like me have the same problem.
                    Just dont disable rotate option in 3ds Max Pack UV tool
                    Regards...

Edit: Edited.

Comment

Working...
                    X