Little rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Holy....! This is really high-poly indeed! Iam not sure what you intend to do with this model (are you supposed to be some sort of rat running through a monstrous car?).
    But for a real-scale car I doubt that you need this many polies. Reduce them dramatically and add details by an adequate normal map.. This might solve your lighting issues as well..

Leave a comment:

• replied
    that's way too high poly, you don't need that much detail at all, as for the lightmap, make sure that all the edges are flattened, like the small edges around the frame. Other than that, there's not really much that can be fixed. Sometimes you can align the UV's with the pixels, but only vertical/horizontal stuff can be done that way. Also make sure you use as much UV space as possible. If it's just that object in the UV's then you can make it bigger.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Lightmap screenshot

http://www.mediafire.com/?5wsd3o388gdismm

Regards
    smallB

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Can you show a screenshot of your lightmap UV?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @Hackmet, yep, tried that too

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This might be the most stupid question in this thread, but nevertheless Iam going to make it - did you build your lighting on production settings? This makes a huge different in overall shadowing quality and, thus, sometimes solves problems by itself.

If you are aware of it, please just ignore this posting

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @redbox, you mean ambient occlusion set to true in world settings?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    @darthviper believe me, I did all of what you've suggested and more - nothing helped. I've tried different unwraps method hundreds times over, with and without seams, like you've suggested I've placed seams in those places and nothing, nothing, nothing... What was very interesting though, that if I increased lightmap res to let's say 1024 it look worse than with 512. As I've said, if not for @redbox I would still banging my head on the table, wall and floor
    But if you want to try out your skills I can send you this door and back of the cabin and you can try if you can unwrap lightmap for it so it looks good WHILE SHADED (not directed into light source). Let me know if you interested, and I'd love you to do it so I can learn something again.
    Regards
    smallB

Leave a comment:

• replied
    also - do you have ambient occlusion baking in lightmass?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    it looks loke you have very high res for lightmap.
    try to set something around 128 for whole car.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    My guess is this--the car might have too high of a poly count, the frame around the window isn't really necessary and it's a detail you could put into a normal map. The issue is that since the frame is so thin, it looks like it's being separated out from the rest of the mesh in the lightmap, and then it's getting bleeding over the edges which is what makes it look bad. There's a way to unwrap that though that would get rid of that issue. The main deal with unwrapping is to have as few seams as possible, and for the seams that you do have, put them in unimportant places if you can. For instance on the door of the car you can flatten out the entire surface by putting a seam around the door and then another seam around the inside of the window, that should make the door and the frame flatten out correctly and you won't get that weird shadow around the frame due to bleeding.
    The only other way to improve the quality if you get bleeding in areas is to increase the lightmap resolution.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi guys,
    In the link below you can see what's the problem I've had while trying to make that car (it is static prop on the scene, as you can see it is divided into appropriate parts). The point is that doesn't matter how I've unwrapped it for ligthmaps the results were poor, poor, poor. I've tried to change the res, I've tried hundreds of different UV layouts and what not, and this did not help. If not for redbox's advice on vertex lighting I really don't know what I would do. Thanks again redbox!

http://www.mediafire.com/?21nfd90mwv...hudx6lf8zf17qg

Regards
    smallB

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I think you can divide your car on few main sewed parts, like main body, doors, bottom part, wheels, interior and sittings.
    and avoid any serious lightmap seams.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Why do you need lightmapping for a car? Is it going to be a static prop in the scene? Because if not, you don't need to worry about lightmaps at all.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi again,
    Yes, I am aware of both UDK being able to produce unwrap and 3dMax automatic tool (which in fairness is quite OK) but non the less, I've used everything I've got and till today before I've got reply from redbox and Graylord I had terrible problems with a car I'm doing. Anyway, thank all you guys for your help.
    Regards
    smallB

Leave a comment:

Working...
X