Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible?

Hey guy's. I was curious if it's possible to make a MMORPG like WoW, LoL, or RuneScape with UDK. If not should i stick with java? or what engine would be best. I Love UDK but I have set a goal & want to use the best method to achieve my goal. I'm fluent in Java & C++. I prefer java but it looks like with UDK i'll have to use C++.

You can't use Java or C++ with UDK, it only uses Unrealscript

Is it possible to make an MMO with UDK? Maybe. Are you able to make an MMO with UDK? No

Comment

That answer made no sense. Am I able to do it? If i took the time to learn Unrealscript it would be possible. Am i correct?

Comment

Just few people have tried it out, because its very hard to create one ^^ -> so it depends on your skills

Just search on google, this has been discussed many times

Comment

Originally posted by Dev.RyanJ View Post
          That answer made no sense. Am I able to do it? If i took the time to learn Unrealscript it would be possible. Am i correct?
          No, there's too much work for people who have never worked on an MMO before(even if you know some programming) to be able to accomplish something like that. There are also technical limitations with UDK (64 player limit) that means even if you had tons of money and experienced people you would have to find creative workarounds. And even if you have tons of money and experienced people it's still very difficult to make an MMO

Comment

Any idea's on another engine? I've got plenty of programming experience.

Comment

Its always hard to create a MMO, but just search on google

Comment

There are a few out there, I think its against the forum rules to announce them, but a quick google search could lead you to two of them. Look up Star Wars: The Old Republic and what engine it uses then follow the bread crumbs and you find an engine that you are most likely looking for.

Comment

This is probably the most civil post Ive ever seen regarding UDK and MMOs, like everyone has said there are a few engines for creating them, UDK isnt one of the best.

That being said its quite difficult to build one, the sheer amount of stuff you have to cram into it is insane. If you do decide to go ahead with this project I wish you the best of luck.

Comment

Tera online is on UDK. But it uses 100% licensed engine. If u like udk buy full license and start to make your awesome MMORPG on UDK)

Comment

Full license of UDK would not give you any more features that would make it easier to make an MMO

Comment

Complete FAQ "How to create your own MMORPG on UKD (Bonus! Works for any other game engine!)"

1. Make a small game for PC or mobile. It could be very small, but should be complete and playable. Publish it.
                        2. Do you got a Profit? (not less that 300k$).
                        2a. If no, extend the game size and repeat #1 point.
                        2b. If yes, think about "Am I still want to create MMORPG?".
                        2b.1 If not, go to #2a.
                        2b.2 If yes, repeate #2a. one more time and then you can try to build you own MMORPG.

Comment

The question is whats your definition of an MMO ? Something like LOL is much easier then something like WOW... (in terms of content amount and players per server instance)

Edit: If money is no problem take a look at http://www.yingpeigames.com/tech/tec..._overview.html

Comment

Originally posted by Xces View Post
                            The question is whats your definition of an MMO ? Something like LOL is much easier then something like WOW... (in terms of content amount and players per server instance)

Edit: If money is no problem take a look at http://www.yingpeigames.com/tech/tec..._overview.html
                            Actually looks promising, although very pricy. Thanks for the link.

Comment

indeed something like wow means money, but a good mmorpg is always welcome for players around the world

Comment

Working...
                              X