Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huge terrain design issues

Hey, everyone.

I'm having a bit of a dilemma regarding some design issues.

I've got 410 miles of open (straight) road, with desert on each side, with the occasional rock and cactus here and there. Knowing it's a straight road, I've got a few ideas of how to do this.

Procedural terrain
    This involves generating a 410x10 mile terrain with a few features on it. The road meshes would be laid on top, through instancing.

Tiles
    I would model 10-15 tiles with the road and features, and then randomly place those tiles along the X axis.

Pre-modeled terrain
    This would involve generating the terrain outside UDK - along with the roads - then importing it directly (kind of a long strech, as I'd reach 65k polys in no time).

Now, the question is, which of these solutions are less time/resource-consuming and which are prone to optimization - or otherwise general - errors.
    If anyone has a better solution, I'd love to hear it.

The maximal, fairly well working, world, is 20km^3, if you use half scale for all your actors. You can't go outside of it, and making smaller scale starts bugging physics. In standard scale you have a 10km^3 cube, where going outside of the 5km^3 in the middle, gives noticable performance issues.

Comment

Maybe instancing new terrain every ~ 2 miles, while trashing ~ 2 miles of traveled terrain?

Comment

Still, you can't go out of the 10x10x10 cube.

Comment

Well, the point of interest (in this case vehicle) is still. It's the terrain that's moving, essentially deleting and replacing itself.

Comment

Ah yea, this is possible, and is acctually used in endless runners. Also, don't make things much bigger than those 65k pollys. Actuallly this should be your maximum.

Comment

If the vehicle is still, you would have to model modular terrain and import them as staticmeshes. You'd have to convert them to interpactors and devise a system for them to move over time and disappear once they leave a certain distance. Depending on how varied these meshes are you may have to come up with a way to reintroduce any disappeared meshes if the vehicle goes in reverse.

Comment

I know. Well, it's good to know which direction I'm heading (pun intended). Thanks, Cube.

Comment

There are ways around the 65k poly limit but you're going to have to think outside the box. I use a certain method right now that allows me to get around that limit for my procedural maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken+Ribs Combo View Post
                    If the vehicle is still, you would have to model modular terrain and import them as staticmeshes. You'd have to convert them to interpactors and devise a system for them to move over time and disappear once they leave a certain distance. Depending on how varied these meshes are you may have to come up with a way to reintroduce any disappeared meshes if the vehicle goes in reverse.
                    It won't be a problem, the vehicle only moves forward, never in reverse.

Comment

Working...
                    X