Do you want Android support for UDK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you want Android support for UDK?

I want to be able to develop UDK games for Android. I like the way the UDK tools work, and I don't want to learn a whole new system just to get my game where I want it.

The numbers show that Android devices are far more prevalent than iOS devices. Plus, there's the Ouya, which not only have people been itching to develop for, but they put up a million dollars worth of funds to support people who who want to make games.

I know that there are a lot of different kinds of Android devices out there, which makes it hard to deploy UDK onto those system without access to the source code. But at the very least, why couldn't we get some limited deployment options? Why not an automated deployment system that ports our creations to at least a limited assortment of platforms?

I want to build a UDK game for Android. If you want to as well, please join me and make voice heard here.

If there is any particular device or form of Android that you want to be able to develop for, please mention so. I want to develop for the Ouya, and I am also interested in developing for nVidia's Shield. If there are enough people who want to develop for those platforms, then perhaps we could at least get support for just those platforms.

Android user base is far more limited when it comes down to PAID APPS. The userbase of android can easily pirate games from bittorent directly on their phone/tablet/android device, without rooting it. I myself own a Galaxy S4 which is currently one of the latest and top Android smartphones (newer than iphone 5 and has far greater specs) but even with these far greater specs (Iphone 5, dual core, S4, quad core, Iphone 5 1.2GHZ, S4, 1.9GHZ, Iphone 5 Ram: 1GB, S4 Ram: 2gb) the games do not neccasarilly run any smoother than my friends Iphone 5. When I say piracy is a big problem I MEAN it. Piracy represents a large amount of downloads and some developers have cited it to be close to 95% at times. Advertisments can cause the device to crash and almost all android users hate adds.

The userbase of android is toxicated with the outrageously prevelant amounts of piracy and market fragmentation with devices, therfore you can only sell the game to people who own a $500+ nearly new phone which represents around a quarter of android users (most still use android 2.3 which is very limited). So you only have the remaining 30% of market and then piracy could possibly gobble half of that away so you only have around 15% of the market left and then it becomes incredibly hard for android users to make a purchase (it is statistically confirmed that IOS users spend far greater amounts of money on paid apps whereas android users will not even want to spend a cent)

The ouya has only got 1GB of RAM and uses DDR3 ram for both graphics and computations, because of the Tegra 3.

If you honestly/seriously are considering spending the time porting wait until Tegra5/ mobile Kepler next year because that is truly the next generation of mobile gaming TRULY AND THOUROUGLY IT IS THE FIRST BIG LEAP. And NVIDIA has plentiful amounts of plans on the android devices they wish to create with the next generation GPUs. The mobiles of the future will likely include 2.3GHZ quad core proccessors, 3GB of RAM and Tegra 5 GPUS. This will push mobile gaming to the true next gen while leaving the previous generations in the cold dust.

Wait 1 year then port, I promise the result will be far greater than now, your game may not even be able to run.
    Reference: http://cdn2.ubergizmo.com/wp-content...ve-640x315.jpg

A MESSAGE TO EPIC GAMES: RELEASE UDK 4 NEXT YEAR, AND INCLUDE PREBUILT IOS, ANDROID, PC AND MAC COMPILERS. UDK 4 2014 WOULD BE PERFECT, BECCAUSE THE NEXT GEN OF BOTH MOBILES AND CONSOLES WILL ARRIVE AND TAKE THE GLOBE BY STORM.

~the end~

Comment

Originally posted by Thebeast View Post
      The ouya has only got 1GB of RAM and uses DDR3 ram for both graphics and computations, because of the Tegra 3.
      So?

No one is expecting a $100 console to deliver the same level of graphics as a PS4. What draws people into the Ouya is the originality and fun-centered gameplay.
      No one is trying to develop UDK for a phone for its "stunning graphics." It's a phone, it will never look like what a PC will. People want to develop with UDK because it is a fantastic tool set.

A Tegra 3 with a gig of RAM (on a system that's plugged in, mind you, so you don't need to hold back for fear of draining the battery after just twenty minutes) still has plenty of power to run a good game. I've seen a number of games that have some relatively impressive visuals.

But I'm honestly flabbergasted that you would go into all this detail about technical limitations and then talk about running UDK4 on a phone. Seriously? A phone released next year is NOT going to have the graphical capacity of PCs that right now can only pull off UE4 visuals by using multiple graphics cards. All of the fancy new material options are going to get reduced to flat images for portable development. Exactly what are you trying to get out of UDK 4?
      (Okay, live updates to changes in the code; I want that more than I want air. But there's nothing else featured in UE4 that is going to be usable on a portable device.)

I'd much rather get to work THIS YEAR rather than sitting on my laurels hoping to make a game that won't run on anything but the most top-of-the-line phone.

Comment

not gonna happen on ue3...

Comment

First step: Develop your Game. Release it on lets say iOS or PC/Mac. Make sure its getting some Attention.

Second Step: Contact Epic with your Game and speak to them about Android license etc...

There will be an Option to release your game on a Android platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzleben View Post
            First step: Develop your Game. Release it on lets say iOS or PC/Mac. Make sure its getting some Attention.

Second Step: Contact Epic with your Game and speak to them about Android license etc...

There will be an Option to release your game on a Android platform.
            Yeah, IF my game garners a lot of attention and success.
            While we're at it, let's release it for PS3 and PS4 and Xbox 360 and XB1.

I mean, yeah that's something I'd like, but it's not something to depend on.

Comment

Working...
            X