windows 8.1 update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

windows 8.1 update

hello, i'm thinking in update my os to the new windows 8.1, but i want to know is someone here is using it to know if there is some issues with it and the udk?

thanks in advance for all the help.

Are we talking Preview or RTM?

If we're talking RTM, I'm running it and I have no issues at all with the UDK.

Comment

i'm planing to wait for the final release of it.

Comment

In Windows 8.1's case, the October GA release may be different than the current RTM.
        According to MS you should not have to reinstall Windows to upgrade from RTM to GA. They stated that, not me.
        According to Steven's MSDN blog regarding the 8.1 RTM:
        "For actual upgrade, you will have to wait until GA. This release is for testing 8 and 8.1 apps and drivers."
        Personally, I am going to wait for the October GA.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
          In Windows 8.1's case, the October GA release may be different than the current RTM.
          It won't really be different, just have additional updates. Unless they really throw the idea of RTM out of the window, updating with Windows Update should be all that happens.

According to MS you should not have to reinstall Windows to upgrade from RTM to GA. They stated that, not me.
          This is true. You won't have to do a clean install. Even if you have the Preview version you don't have to (even though they said you did; just adapt the cversion.ini (you know, the same thing that worked with the W7 Preview to W7 RTM ))

According to Steven's MSDN blog regarding the 8.1 RTM:
          "For actual upgrade, you will have to wait until GA. This release is for testing 8 and 8.1 apps and drivers."
          It is. Unless you're in a secure environment where it doesn't matter if the system crashes or is virus sensitive or w/e, you should wait.
          Unless you really want it badly xD

Personally, I am going to wait for the October GA.
          If it hadn't been put on MSDN/TechNet I would've as well.

Comment

Steven stated in his MSDN blog that this RTM is different than previous RTM releases.

*edit*

Also, from Antoine Leblond (Microsoft):
            "In the past, the release to manufacturing (RTM) milestone traditionally meant that the software was ready for broader customer use. However, it's clear that times have changed."

The 8.1 RTM was meant for partner testing of apps and drivers only, which is why Microsoft did not want to initially release it to MSDN etc.
            Sufficient numbers of partners are having issues with this RTM so that I decided to steer clear of it.
            This RTM may end up requiring a complete OS reinstall for the GA, although most MS people have stated that they hope it doesn't.

Comment

Sorry but I don't know that. Also, your post just seemed to quote info as if you took that all as fact hence me laying out some additional info.
              No need to get annoyed/mad about that... Be happy that I take the time to lay things out like that for people :/

EDIT:
              Ok now worries then.

This RTM may end up requiring a complete OS reinstall for the GA, although most MS people have stated that they hope it doesn't.
              I'm always taking this with a grain of salt. I've upgraded numerous systems through paths Microsoft said are not possible ;D
              And I know the rest as well

Comment

thanks guys, one last question, when will be the windows 8.1 GA released ? anyone knows ?

Comment

I'm not annoyed at all.
                  Sorry if my post came off like that.

Comment

October 17 for the GA.

Comment

thanks DGUnreal, i will wait for it

Comment

Just updated to windows 8.1 and I'm getting this weird visual anomaly: http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...s81problem.jpg

Any ideas what's going on? I'm using latest version of DirectX

Comment

In your video card settings, turn 3d off for udk.

Comment

Thanks for your help! I disabled stereoscopic 3D in my video card settings and that fixed it. Not sure why that turned on from 8 to 8.1, but I'm glad I found a fix.

Comment

Working...
                            X