Ways to hide seams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ways to hide seams

Guys, are decals the only way to hide seams on model or are there better ways to hide seams? Decals seem to be very heavy on memory.
    Thank you
    smallB

What is the situation?

Comment

Hi, thanks for reply.
      So the situation is:
      http://www.mediafire.com/?3ndsnxe8r1dx863

Basically that is the fragment of a tree, and the very visible seam is where the branch touches the trunk. I know that the unwrap isn't perfect, but even when I've unwrapped it much much better than this the seam is still visible. What most frustrating is that even when I try to paint vertices the seam is still visible!
      Really looking forward to any help.
      Regards
      smallB

Comment

That's not something you're supposed to fix with decals, you just need your mapping to be correct. On something like a tree you might consider ignoring that unless you're getting very close to it.

Comment

It's really a texturing technique issue. First, your uv unwrap isn't perfect and it will therefore be very hard to hide it.
          When you made a better uv unwrap you can try projection painting on those seams, if your program supports it. (Blender does)
          An easier way is to hide the seams by placing them on positions where nobody will see them or cover them with foliage or similar stuff.

Comment

Hi thank you all for your replies.
            @zinggi57, I do use blender as a my 3d modelling tool and I'm aware of projection painting technique but I didn't know that you can actually apply it to a texture which will be used inside UDK. Could you be so kind and explain how it is done?
            Regards
            smallB

Comment

http://cgcookie.com/blender/2010/10/...inting-in-2-5/

Comment

Thanks, will check that out.

Comment

Working...
                X