Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UDK cutting entire pieces of BSP in 3D viewports/game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For one last time, I am not a 3D designer or anything related to graphic, I'm a programmer, I was just told it was needed some work in 3D and as I already knew few of UDK I tried doing this. For what who asked me to do this needed, I've already made a work that is far better than the expectations and this merge of all the machinery into one file was the last step of all the work (which now it is not even mandatory anymore).

I already know Blender or Maya are such better softwares for this, but firstly, I don't know how to use them (I learned a bit of Blender in the meantime), secondly, my work is to test industry machine around the world, travelling from a continent to another, not building things in 3D softwares.

ANYWAY, all this is not the point of the thread. If I wanted to speak with you about what is right and what is wrong, I wouldn't have open a thread asking a solution for the problem I reported. Back in topic, I greatly thank DGUnreal and who tried to give a solution for the explainations provided.

My work with UDK is almost finished, and the last things I have to do I will surely keep using it to maintain the look of the final result, but if other works like this will be needed in my company in the future, I'll know better what the situation will require.

Thank you for your attention

Comment

Although it is not something I would ever recommend for anyone using UDK for creating games with:

If you are completing the model in UDK, the best you can do to fix the disappearing sections with the current design of your machine, as mentioned previously, is to convert most of the hi-poly cylinders into staticmeshes using the Convert To Staticmesh tool.

The meshes will look poor, but it will move all of that brush data out of the CSG's BSP tree to free up a significant amount of the BSP for the other brushes.
      I would make a backup copy of the file first.

If you merge any additional files in, check the model again and if you start getting more disappearing faces, you will have to convert more of the brushes again.

Keep in mind that once you convert a brush to a staticmesh, you can no longer apply any of the CSG boolean functions to it, so only convert brushes that are final shapes.

The other and probably better option, would be to just get someone on the forums here to create four or five different length smoothed cylinder meshes that you can place around on the model and scale to the proper diameter. Since they are basic primitives it would only take 10 minutes to create them.
      Then just continue to do the rest of the basic machine shapes in CSG.

Comment

Thanks for the advices DGUnreal, I'll try your advices

Comment

so how would one go about finding out how many bsp's are on their map, in laymans terms, and what are the limits etc... my dungeon is getting pretty large, but i'm keeping it simple geometry, and my game is still running smooth... just to know how to do it

Comment

Originally posted by Nevetz View Post
            For one last time, I am not a 3D designer or anything related to graphic, I'm a programmer, I was just told it was needed some work in 3D and as I already knew few of UDK I tried doing this. For what who asked me to do this needed, I've already made a work that is far better than the expectations and this merge of all the machinery into one file was the last step of all the work (which now it is not even mandatory anymore).
            As you state, you are not a 3D designer, therefore, you initially ignored professionals which gave you some percussive advices. Now, you get kind of stuck, limited by an inappropriate tool.
            -- Of course, you can use a pan to knock in a nail, but you'll have troubles when your boss will ask you to shove one into concrete.

I wonder you won't stop this new "task" in a few weeks, otherwise your company would have just hired a freelance designer. That means you're about to do more 3D works in the future.
            Saves you a lot of pain: learn Blender now, restart everything from scratch (you already done it once, it should be easier to make it again now that you have mentally build it up). Even if you think your job will be done soon, your workflow can be bottlenecked and it will result in a lot of frustration.

These are not advices to sabotage your efforts, what benefit to us ?
            Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X