Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UDK cutting entire pieces of BSP in 3D viewports/game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDK cutting entire pieces of BSP in 3D viewports/game?

Hello, I've been working on huge total BSP files for a work (yeah, that one :P ) and succesfully created every piece I had to do. After completing 3/4 "maps" (single pieces of machinery) I decided to import all of them into a single file to look if everything was working together

I exported all the files as .t3d and imported all in a new blank map. Everything seemed to work fine. The brush wireframe is totally correct in all views.

After building all, the problem that now I get is that the "map" gets cut like if there is an invisible line that cut away entire pieces. Changing some brushes made those cuts appear in different positions, here are screenshots to explain:

CASE 1:

Brushes:

Lit:

It's totally missing the upper cylinder and some other little things.

CASE 2:

Brushes:

Lit:

It's missing all the right part of the upper "thing".

Here is the log of the swarm agent, maybe it can help:

Spoiler

I really don't know what to do, each single machine works perfecly in its own file. I tried importing single files and compile them at every import. The first 2 files (which are the machines shown bugged) worked perfectly before inserting the 3rd one. Could it be something inside the 3rd file? Still, in each files I get no problems such these. Help me

Also, I noticed that switching to Lit/Unlit views of the 2D viewports the problem only shows in one of it (in the 3rd one it's impossible to say if it's correct or no due to its position)

The missing parts also are solid, so you can walk on them, so I think they are just "invisible"

Comment

You ignored the advice of everyone in that other thread, and this is the result. Not sure what else I can say that would help.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoof View Post
        You ignored the advice of everyone in that other thread, and this is the result. Not sure what else I can say that would help.
        I'm not doing this for hobby, since I started with this, I finish with this. And, it's not a good excuse to justify that 3 files mess everything up when they merge into one.

Comment

Any number of things can be causing the issues you are having:
          - BSP tree cut locations
          - excessive number of BSP nodes
          - excessive number of faces or vertices per BSP tree branch/leaf
          - excessive number of drawcalls
          - etc.

These issues typically show up as "BSP holes", where faces or entire sections will not get rendered.
          Changing brush location or brush order can make these issues move from one area of CSG to another, as the BSP tree contents gets re-ordered.
          Since you are greatly exceeding the design specifications of CSG you will not be able to fix these issues.
          As you merge more files and add more brushes, the problem will only increase.
          Since that increases the number of BSP tree branches, leafs, faces, vertices, and drawcalls, etc.

I recommend that you read up on what BSP (Binary Space Partitioning) is to see why you cannot do what you are attempting to do.
          And then realize that there are set limits on the CSG pipeline in the engine.

The plain and simple answer:
          CSG was never designed or intended to do what you are attempting to do.
          CSG was only designed and intended for low triangle count, simple block designs, such as a basic maze of room floors and walls.
          The typical CSG pipeline would have a maximum of a few thousand faces, with only a few dozen to a couple hundred faces rendered at any time within the camera frustum.

The bottom line:
          What you are trying to do is well beyond the scope of what the CSG system design is.
          It's like trying to replace the Space Shuttle computer systems with your iPhone.

You will have to switch to using staticmeshes to do what you are trying to do.
          Since your model is mostly simple primitive shapes, it would be quite easy to get into using Blender or some other 3D modeling application to create your objects.

Comment

Isnt it possible to convert bsp into mesh? Used to be.

Comment

you might try to convert some of the more complex brushes to a mesh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeaCIOQ7XzI

Comment

Converting CSG brushes into staticmeshes does not create an optimized staticmesh.
                It is only a last resort hack fix.

*edit*
                He should be using proper staticmeshes so that the model can use smoothing groups and other better visual features.

Comment

true @DG... but it is what it is... it would give Nevetz the opportunity to export the mesh into blender or something, depends on what Nevetz is going for...

ADD:
                  i've often found that after i've painted myself into a corner i have two choices...

figure a way out
                  walk across the paint

then usually after that... i make sure i never paint myself into the same corner ever again :]

Comment

The CSG convert to staticmesh has some of the following issues/limitations:
                    unoptimized mesh with no welded vertices, no smoothing groups, bad texture UV coordinates, no usable lightmap UV, no collision.

Using, and encouraging people to use, the CSG Convert to Staticmesh tool is IMHO simply encouraging really bad habits.
                    He would be better off spending the required 2 or 3 hours to learn the basics of primitive creation and export in Blender.

This is not to knock the OP personally:
                    While I do applaud him for having the jujubes for attempting to create such as complex CSG scene, have a look at the CSG brush design.
                    So even converting his CSG to meshes for export to Blender/Max/Maya is just going to result IMHO in unusable garbage that has to be completely re-done from scratch anyway.

For example, the cylinders are using 5x to 10x the number of required faces to get some resemblance of smoothing.
                    The face count could be dramatically decreased if smoothing groups were being used.
                    Creating the objects as staticmeshes would also allow for such things as chamfered edges etc., since most real-life components don't have sharp edges as in the OP's model.
                    Many of the components are using multiple brushes, whereas when created as a staticmesh in Blender/Max/Maya it would be a single primitive object with the detailing done in the texture instead.

Comment

never said it was a good answer lol... just another answer for the present situation

Comment

Originally posted by northstar View Post
                        true @DG... but it is what it is... it would give Nevetz the opportunity to export the mesh into blender or something, depends on what Nevetz is going for...
                        I believe Blender can import the .t3d data without having to convert to mesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Nevetz View Post
                          I'm not doing this for hobby, since I started with this, I finish with this. And, it's not a good excuse to justify that 3 files mess everything up when they merge into one.
                          If you're not doing this for a hobby then you probably should have researched what you were doing before jumping in feet first then complaining the software doesn't work how you want. If you worked for my company you'd have been out on your **** as soon as you showed me what you'd done.

Common sense and logic seems to be a hard thing to come by these days...

Comment

I'm amazed you were able to get that far, CSG usually bugs out for me after few ramps and stairs.

Honestly, you're better off doing it from scratch in something like blender. Even if you turn that into a static mesh, editing it would a complete nightmare.

Comment

He did actually get told several times that he shouldn't use CSGs before he started, and was told that his assets was going to break just like this. But for some reason ignored it every time he was told so.

And this is the result. It stopped working, go figure.

Comment

Working...
                              X