Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove textures/materials that is not used in the level in the contentBrowser?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove textures/materials that is not used in the level in the contentBrowser?

Hey!

Is there's a way to remove textures/materials that is not used in the level in the content Browser?

And for optimisation matters... what is the things i really need to focus on to optimise my frame rate ?

Thanks!

Removing textures / materials that aren't being used in the current level will not optimize frame rate what so ever.

Considerations are totally memory usage and draw calls.

Comment

So if you check my stat ...i need to lower my texture memory and the pixelshader memory ?? Or it is normal ?

Comment

i need to reach at least 80 fps

Comment

that would be a real tuffy in the released program... but what you could do... remember when you installed your game, instead of full install, install the blank game... it is a stripped down version of just the game engine without the extra stuff... it installs to the same folder (if you like) and you still have the full version... so if you want you can link up to an external package in the content browser and bring in just what you like and disregard the rest...

building your game in the blank game itself, if it was like mine, will double your fps right off the bat (no unnecessary baggage in it)... as for the rest, i lowered my screen resolution on my computer, and that helped... then in view/detail/ you can lower that... in right click you can simplify meshes... and you could also not work in full screen, and that will help... in the small box of the geometry mode i rose my fps from 20 to 120... in full screen its still about 50-60... but its better than 17...

anyways... there are probably more, but those are a few things i did...

Comment

Reaching 80FPS is a rather arbitrary goal. Anyways, here are some things you can do.
            • Test it in game rather in Editor. Typically, running outside of Unreal Editor is faster performing as the Engine run time itself runs faster without the Editor running in the first place.
            • Reduce the pixel shader count as much as you can. Avoid using heavier material types such as translucent shaders.
            • Add LOD to your meshes. If meshes are very far away, consider making a LOD version of that mesh to reduce the number of polygons. Using Simplygon can help with this.
            • Dynamic lights do cost, but not as much as dynamic shadows. If you have a lot of dynamic shadows, consider using a cascade shadow map or static lighting.

There are a lot of things you can do. There isn't really a one fix it solution.

It would also be useful to have your hardware specs. Without those, we don't know what we're dealing with as well.

Comment

Thanks guys for the tips!!

My main goal is to make it run on a laptop.. but heres my PC Spec...

Processor: I7-3770 3.4GHz
              Memory (Ram) 16,0 GB
              64 bit Operating system
              Running on windows 7

Comment

And the thing is that is not a game it's for architecture visualisation, so my level is set with a house and an environment. so my problem is probably the fact that i have too many materials in my level.
                But i don't have alot of translucent materials in my level. I have one glass material for the entire windows of the house.

Comment

What's your GPU? I'm also curious why you said 16gb, yet UDK is only showing 4gb.

Comment

GPU: Cypress
                    Pixel fillrate 12,8GPixels
                    Texture Fillrate 44,8G Texels
                    Memory size 1024MB
                    256bits

It is normal that UDK is only showing 4GB ??

I said 16GB because i have 16GB installed memory (RAM) on my system.

Comment

Actually, it's correct. Don't worry about my statement on the ram, I got that wrong.

Cypress? As in ATI Radeon HD5000?

Comment

yup it is!

Comment

Which version?

It's quite an old card. About three years old, and it will depend on which version of that GPU. If you have a weak GPU, nothing you can do will make UDK run faster. At that point, it is just easier to upgrade your hardware.

Comment

Working...
                          X