Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal 4, UDK is it going to happen any dates sorry if this has already been asked.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unreal 4, UDK is it going to happen any dates sorry if this has already been asked.

I half built a game with unreal 3, I have decided to wait for 4.
    As I didn't want to learn unreal script and then have it dropped.
    Anyone know if it is going to be months or years.
    Please help me to decide on my next engine move.

many thanks

I think it will be released next year. In my opinion, they will not release it now because I think it is not very good when indies create some no AAA games with not perfect graphics and features faster than big studios. First games should be presentable.

Comment

It has been asked. A lot.

Your concerns are common. But I'll tell what I tell everyone else: You do realize that a new version of the engine doesn't automatically make a game "outdated"... right?

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
        You do realize that a new version of the engine doesn't automatically make a game "outdated"... right?
        no it doesn't, but for an indy/hobbyist team an engine whose development gets halted vs. an engine that keeps getting updates in the time span that you develop your game (2+ years) does make a big difference

to the OP: unless an Epic employee jumps in it'll all be speculations, and the release date is what matters in your case.
        im in a similar situation, and my advice would be to prototype code and kismet with UE3-UDK cleanly and hope porting/redoing in UE4 won't be hard. also focus on art assets, sounds, music, etc as much as you can, as they will work on UE4 all the same

Comment

This is getting old.

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
            no it doesn't, but for an indy/hobbyist team an engine whose development gets halted vs. an engine that keeps getting updates in the time span that you develop your game (2+ years) does make a big difference
            The one that's getting updates is getting updates because it needs them. The one that isn't is stable and proven. Take your pick.

Comment

well the engine is jumping to a new generation for a reason. I don't really *need* UE4's new features but eventually UE3 will become obsolete. besides, UE3 still needs updates and features (dllbind+packaging is obscure at best, DX11 isn't really usable for production, we only ever get gimmick updates anymore).
              according to your logic we could still be using UE2 for that matter. but as time has passed we're not, because UE3 is better and more feature-rich even if for a long time it was less stable. I'm just looking forward to a farther future.

but yeah TheAgent is right, this is getting old. so never mind this argument because after this yet new iteration of the UE4 vs. UE3 discussion I'll keep my point and you'll keep yours

Comment

Comparing what UE2 was to UE3 and what UE3 UDK is to UE4 UDK is a bit unfair. Think about how long ago they began development on UE4, and how recently we have still been getting updates on UE3. It's reasonable to say suggest that outside of a few fancier things, there is a lot of feature overlap. And not only this, we have access to it!

Most people only developed mods for UT2004, on the other hand, which was a 3 year old branch of UE2 by the time they published Unreal Tournament 3.

Does anyone remember how frustrated most people were with having to learn all the engine and editor changes? I do. It almost felt like working with an entirely different product.

Any potential boosts that using UE4 could inherently offer I feel will be mitigated by 3 things for the foreseeable future:

1. The acclimation period
                2. Bugs
                3. Lack of documentation and existing community support as compared to the current UDK.

Comment

The big thing about UE4 that wasn't possible in UE3 was dynamic global illumination (voxel cone tracing). While the rest of the UE4 is still highly impressive, they seem to be mostly about convenience, workflow and other general improvements. Sure they are huge improvements, but still nothing crucial that isn't available (in some capacity) on UE3 already.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
                    Comparing what UE2 was to UE3 and what UE3 UDK is to UE4 UDK is a bit unfair. Think about how long ago they began development on UE4, and how recently we have still been getting updates on UE3. It's reasonable to say suggest that outside of a few fancier things, there is a lot of feature overlap. And not only this, we have access to it!
                    I never really used UE2 so my opinion might be invalid here but I think if you compare UE2 to UE3 just when UE3 came out, it might be a totally different comparison than UE2 vs. today's UE3. so UE3 might not be too different from UE4 when it comes out, but how about 3 or 4 years later? to people with very long dev times it'll probably feel how it'd feel if you started using UE2 today.

so let me add up to my suggestion to the OP: if you can pull off a short development time for your game (ie. 1 year or less), it's probably best if you just use UE3. for longer dev times again we can only speculate.
                    if you're a solo hobbyist like me with a forseeable 3+ years of dev time, you probably need to think things through as the decision won't be easy and has downsides both ways

Comment

at the end of the day the answer is "when its done"

its the same as waiting for new hardware to be released because it will run faster.

anyone starting out now has more info than any of us had with UE2/UE3 being UT2004/UT3/UDK. been there, done that, and made the video

Comment

Originally posted by geodav View Post
                        anyone starting out now has more info than any of us had with UE2/UE3 being UT2004/UT3/UDK.
                        Quoted for truth

Comment

Even if UE4 were released in games and to licensees in 2014, that does not mean that a "UDK" version of it will be available "for free" at that same time.
                          I'm sure Epic wants to get their big money out of it from Licensees first, before they pan it to the indie masses.
                          UE3 is still a good engine for the masses and more mature.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
                            Even if UE4 were released in games and to licensees in 2014, that does not mean that a "UDK" version of it will be available "for free" at that same time.
                            I'm sure Epic wants to get their big money out of it from Licensees first, before they pan it to the indie masses.
                            UE3 is still a good engine for the masses and more mature.
                            Uhm many licensees already use UE4 right now and their first games will be released this year. Obviously noone knows when Epic will make the move to a UDK version, they might not even know themselfes yet. I agree that UE3 is still a good engine to use. However we don't know how mature/stable UE4 is right now and UE3 sure has its flaws, especially when it comes to dynamic lighting. ^^

Comment

I think you should wait for UE4. But, it might be worth waiting for UE5 though. It's always better to just wait for the next technology, that way, you always get the best, unless you wait for the next one, which in fact would be the best, so you may never get the best. It's a tough world we live in.

Comment

Working...
                              X