Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vehicle with windows

Hello together! :-)

I am new with the UDK and i hope you can help me with this little question. I want to import a vehicle that has windows. How can i do this that the UDK shows the windows transparent? Sorry for my english. ;-)

(What i am using: Blender 2.65, UDK 10-2012, Gimp 2)

you would need to apply 2 materials in blender (you might need 2 textures and UV's as well depending on how you do it) and then for the windows in UDK change the material setting to "translucent".

Comment

@ smokey13

Thanks for your answer. My first idea was to take the texture and create in gimp a alpha texture for that i have two different things. I would delete the windows from the texture and in the alpha the windows are contained. It's very confusing. :-)

Edit: I think i am beginnig to understand. I must set Vertex Groups for the parts and in the UDK i can change it to translucent.

Comment

In maya I simply assign a different material to the geometry of the window, import the mesh to UDK, edit the translucency of the material in UDK, bam done.

Comment

Originally posted by SledgeNE View Post
          I must set Vertex Groups for the parts and in the UDK i can change it to translucent.
          vertex groups are used to assign vertices to bones.

Comment

@ smokey13
            I must watch you tutorial with your buggy. It's confusing. :-)

@ Henrik
            I must create a extra material in gimp for windows?

I am very confused because, i understand that a vehicle must be one mesh. With one mesh i can only set one material. That's seems my problem. :-)

Comment

No, you can assign different materials to certain parts of your mesh in blender.
              http://www.abload.de/img/udkblendermaterialjkxqn.png

Gimp does textures, not materials. And yes, you probably want to have a separte texture just for the windows, or at least for their opacity.

Comment

@ mAlkAv!An

Thanks! Now i've got it! :-)

Comment

A very little question: What is the problem, when i import my mesh and the mesh has no blue-white tiles?

Comment

Originally posted by smokey13 View Post
                    you would need to apply 2 materials in blender (you might need 2 textures and UV's as well depending on how you do it) and then for the windows in UDK change the material setting to "translucent".
                    So are you using a regular material for the vehicle? I've been using Material Instance constant materials for vehicles cause that's how I was taught to do it for vehicles. So with that said, how would you switch a MI material constant to translucent?

Comment

Originally posted by SledgeNE View Post
                      A very little question: What is the problem, when i import my mesh and the mesh has no blue-white tiles?
                      what does it have instead of the blue and white material?

Originally posted by DemoMan2 View Post
                      So are you using a regular material for the vehicle? I've been using Material Instance constant materials for vehicles cause that's how I was taught to do it for vehicles. So with that said, how would you switch a MI material constant to translucent?
                      well I use "material instance constant" and "material instance time varying" because I use the UT code but you can use normal materials as well. I don't think you can make MI's translucent but i'm not very good with materials so I could be wrong.

Comment

@smokey13

A blank texture. I put some Screenshots from my progress of modeling, so you can see i effort me to learn. When i make a mistake, please say that. ;-)

[IMG] [/IMG] [IMG] [/IMG] [IMG] [/IMG] [IMG] [/IMG]

Comment

In a Youtube-Video you can see that someone put the Material for the windows of his car in UDK.

Comment

what do you mean by a blank texture, if its just dark grey its a UV or material issue.

to your lambo, your diffuse texture is 640x400, it needs to be a power of 2 (64,128,256,1024,2048,4096). because you are using a basic texture you can overlap more of your UV islands. also you don't need a lightmap UV for skeletal meshes.

there is more then one way of making a vehicle with windows, I did the windows of my example almost the same way as the guy in the video but used a basic texture for the diffuse in the material.

nice model

Comment

Thanks, but without the great Tutorial from Peter Drakulic from youtube i would never be so far. I will see how long i need when the Lamb is driving in the UDK. :-)

Edit: Just a little Update. I had setting up the bones, but they are not parented so far. Here is a new Screenshot from my progress.

[IMG] [/IMG]

So, i forgot to take a bone for the socket. I must create Vertex Groups, too. There's a lot to do. But it makes fun. What do you think? I've got it, or not? ;-) About the damages from the wheels: Must i do take the vertices from the wheels within the vertex group from the damage-bone on every side?

Edit2: You can take a look on my Youtube-Channel. It's nothing special there, but some Blender-to-UDK-Videos, more or less. :-) https://www.youtube.com/user/SledgeNE/videos?view=0
                              Well, i found a little tutorial about windows and creating glasses in GIMP: http://usingudk.blogspot.de/2011/07/...texturing.html

Comment

Working...
                              X