Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we late?

Hello guys!
    Me and a friend have started working on a little UDK game we want to release this year, if things go well. But do you think we're a bit late on this, I mean UDK was released in 2009 and now everyone talks about Unreal Engine 4. We were a bit worried the UDK might be gone before we're done with the game.

No dude. UDK is good enough for creating a stunning game. I don't think UE4 will be available for free soon.

Comment

You can start making models and animations now as those are not engine specific. You could also start writing scripts to figure out how you want them to work but just know im 99% certain you can't port them to udk4 as it uses c++.

Comment

I think UDK 4 wont be released this year. So just start your project

Comment

No, I suspect u won't see UE4 based UDK for atleast another 2-3 years.

Comment

Thanks for the replies people. This was very helpful.

Comment

Also keep in mind that even large studios tend to not upgrade their engines because of the risk of things breaking and not functioning properly, so even larger AAA games made with unreal 3 could still come out over the course of the next 5 years, maybe even more.

UE3 is also updated regularly, so the latest version of Unreal has features that are still considered brand new.

Comment

UE3 has some many features and ways of make your game look STUNNING, that when you master it, possibly the current version will be UE5.

Also, in current gen the bottleneck is in most times manpower, not the engine.

Originally posted by darkxether View Post
                You can start making models and animations now as those are not engine specific. You could also start writing scripts to figure out how you want them to work but just know im 99% certain you can't port them to udk4 as it uses c++.
                Although UE4 uses c++, I think they should use a similar class structure, so if you know the UnrealScript API well, it would make a lot easier to understand what's going on in c++. (In terms of just syntax, unrealscript can be easily ported to c++)

Comment

You are a bit late to the party, but don't let that stop you dude. It is never to late to get involved and start working on your own game.

Also epic name Hello_Word hahaha, great one. You will go far as a coder with that sense of humour.

Comment

Tanks again for the replies. Of course we will continue with UE3, just wanted to know what your opinions were on the subject.

Originally posted by GamerKnight View Post
                    You are a bit late to the party, but don't let that stop you dude. It is never to late to get involved and start working on your own game.

Also epic name Hello_Word hahaha, great one. You will go far as a coder with that sense of humour.
                    thanks

Comment

I'm currently trying to learn the Unrealscript API, and I hope what I learn here will transfer to UE4; but yeah, don't expect a switch for years.

Comment

Working...
                      X