UE3 running on WebGL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UE3 running on WebGL!

ok I grabbed this from facebook just now, perhaps it's too recent to have even been posted here

http://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2013/03...rm-for-gaming/

according to this, they've ported UE3 to the Web without plugins. just HTML5 and WebGL.
    according to them it can be tested by anyone:
    Try the technology for yourself! Visit emscripten.org and hacks.mozilla.org
    however both sites offer nothing about it yet

anyway it's impressive!
    makes me wonder though, if it'll be a nice achievement that goes to total forget like 'UE3 comes to Flash' was or if something good will actually come out of it, and if there are any plans for this on UE4

hello is that it has nothing to do, you speak Spanish? 're from barcelona. I'm doing a hack n slash game, and if I knew how to say the hack n slash type attack you help me a lot.

hablas castellano ?

Comment

indeed I'm from barcelona and I speak Spanish, but this is not the place for such requests.
      use google first (look for melee weapon tutorial) or make your own thread asking for help

Comment

so it's like the flash build http://gaming.adobe.com/technologies/flascc/
        This can't be in udk because it is like the flash build

Comment

habia echo un hilo del tema porque el juego que estoy haciendo es hack n slash, pero nadie lo respondio, talvel lo esplique mal. ahora vuelvo a consultar.

Comment

Indeed, I also wanted more information on this. They told they made it in four days, one million lines of code (!?)

Seems like there was an automated translator between both.

Edit:

Indeed, from the emscripten page:

Emscripten is an LLVM to JavaScript compiler. It takes LLVM bitcode (which can be generated from C/C++ using Clang, or any other language that can be converted into LLVM bitcode) and compiles that into JavaScript, which can be run on the web (or anywhere else JavaScript can run).

Using Emscripten, you can

Compile C and C++ code into JavaScript and run that on the web
            Run code in languages like Python as well, by compiling CPython from C to JavaScript and interpreting code in that on the web

Comment

Every time one of these announcements is made it feels like one giant ____ tease.. who would flash or webgl publishing benefit most? Indies. And yet, I'm not gonna hold my breath..

Comment

Apparently, while normal hand written Javascript runs 12 times slower than C++, code generated via using asm.js and emscripten is only 2 times slower than the C++ code. I had no idea it made such a difference. Definitely put things in perspective for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
                  Every time one of these announcements is made it feels like one giant ____ tease.. who would flash or webgl publishing benefit most? Indies. And yet, I'm not gonna hold my breath..
                  Well in the facebook comments from UnrealEngine it sounded like this one will be available to indies. Given that they said how easy environment artists can present their portfolios this way etc... However as the Flash release told us we'll only know for sure once the update containing the publish option hits. heh

Comment

https://github.com/kripken/emscripten/wiki has been updated:
                    - Unreal 3 Engine - link to actual demo coming soon
                    it also seems this one is coming for UE4 as well (read it somewhere, think I got the link from that other UE4+lightmass thread)

so yes let's hope this ends up in our hands unlike the flash thing

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
                      it also seems this one is coming for UE4 as well (read it somewhere, think I got the link from that other UE4+lightmass thread)
                      yeah I posted this: http://gamasutra.com/view/news/18958...E4_support.php there as well. However it fits even better into this thread.

Comment

i saw the news few days a go, but i was waiting more info about it, hoping that the next udk release come with it.

Comment

Working...
                        X