Can we get a Road Tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can we get a Road Tool?

Are we going to be getting any sort of Road laying or Road painting tool? I've been trying to build a road network for quite some time and have exhausted many of the options I've read about. The only way to get the exact results I need would be to completely construct a landscape in a modeling app including the road system. This is extremely time consuming and getting all that in-game with collision afterwards will be a nightmare.

This far into UDK's life cycle, can we not get something that other packages ship with by default? I'll be honest, it's been severely frustrating trying to move forward with my project when all I keep facing are technical hurdles which I have to either work around or hack and fake.

Any chance of one, please?

I agree a road system would be nice, but doing what you say (constructing it in a modeling program) isn't necessarily as difficult as you make it out to be.

Comment

We use Worldmachine. You can draw spline paths in that before output.

Comment

This feature has been discussed on these forums and in the licensee list a number of times over the years.
        I would not expect to see Epic adding a road tool at any time in the near future. It would be a low priority item for them.
        There are also a number of factors with a road tool including terrain/landscape polygon size, etc.

For now: use the Flatten tool, export the Heightmap, import the heightmap into your 3D app, create the road meshes.

FWIW, TerreSculptor should be getting its mesh painting tools late this year (no guarantees), which will include 3D-spline-based roads and rivers (with automatic terrain deformation plus automatic road/river surface UV'ed mesh creation).

Comment

I agree that it seems low on the priority list which is a shame. UDK as I have found so far is very capable of doing large open-world scenarios with dynamic lighting. It is too bad we could not get more tools to make these environments easier. Modeling roads and streets is not a problem...until you want to make them uneven/organic/conforming to hills for vast areas.

I've already had success modeling this all out and importing it (without using Landscape) it's just a huge pain when simply having a tool that could paint it would speed up the workflow. Thanks for replying guys.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
            FWIW, TerreSculptor should be getting its mesh painting tools late this year (no guarantees), which will include 3D-spline-based roads and rivers (with automatic terrain deformation plus automatic road/river surface UV'ed mesh creation).
            Btw, that sounds incredibly awesome.

Comment

TerreSculptor for the win!

Comment

If your a 3dmax user..

Comment

I already use a similar method. It's perfect for small, single stretches of road but becomes an extremely tedious task of line up when faced with large networks of roads and intersections.

Comment

That looks painful.

The spline-based road creation tool that is planned for TerreSculptor will be significantly easier to use and more powerful than the method shown in the video. Unfortunately it is still some time in the future as TS is a massive project for a single programmer.

Comment

Originally posted by DGUnreal View Post
                      That looks painful.
                      It really, really is man. I tried road/terrain as an imported mesh which worked but it isn't very flexible and any change has to be done outside of UDK and re-imported which gets tedious. At the moment, I've just imported the road network itself and am just using the UDK brush tools to raise or lower the landscape to conform to it. It's awful but I can't spend any more time fighting it.

I really can't wait for this new version of Terrasculptor. If it will speed up this workflow, you can be guaranteed that I will be the first in line to buy it!

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken+Ribs Combo View Post

I really can't wait for this new version of Terrasculptor. If it will speed up this workflow, you can be guaranteed that I will be the first in line to buy it!
                        I should be getting to the coding upgrades of the 3D editor/renderer by late spring.
                        TS will remain free/donation for use until I feel that it worthy of being sold for money.

Comment

L3DT has a bulldozer tool that you can use for adding roads to your heightmaps. http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/
                          I didn't know that WorldMachine had the ability to do this, but it does make sense considering the masks that you can make. The only problem is making a mesh that perfectly matches your terrain afterwards. I'd probably do it in the heightmap first, then import the heightmap in your modeling package (in max just displace a plane) and then draw a new spline from the terrain and convert it to a mesh.

I might look into creating a tutorial on this soon as it would likely help out a lot of people. Still not an easy process.

Comment

Originally posted by TorQueMoD View Post
                            The only problem is making a mesh that perfectly matches your terrain afterwards.
                            The road tool for TerreSculptor will support the following features:
                            - 3D spline-based tool (in a full 3D editor environment).
                            - Automatic heightmap deformation.
                            - Automatic road mesh creation that includes tessellation resolution and auto UV mapping.
                            - Many more features not listed here.

I am working as fast as I can to get these features into the software, there is so much that needs to be done first.
                            If you have thought of it for a heightmap tool, it is on my list of upcoming features.

Comment

I've had some success using the Graphite Toolset to paint strips of road on a displaced mesh and using a UVstrip straightener plugin to unwrap it. I mean, there are a lot of ways to do it, it's just that none of the current methods would be as streamlined as being able to lay road textures down in the Editor in real-time and having them automatically conform to the Landscape actor.

I've also tried another method using decals and that works like a charm in terms of having some vertical variance to the roads but because they're repeated textures, you can really only do it in a straight line. Also, lining the decals up is ultra painful.

Comment

Working...
                              X